• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hands on with the at5555

123kid

Mar 6, 2012
Got my new at5555 today and i must say its a great piece of gear.I paid 198 for it and 10 shipping on ebay brand new.I have the version 6 and its 30 watts sideband 40fm and 12 am.The receive is great and even nicer with the high cut filter.am mode it talks well the echo is great and the talkback works as it should.Sideband it performs well and easily brings in distant stations made a dx contact to hawaii and that was skip but local sideband got out 60 miles.The only things i dont like about it is it was not on frequency so i had to tune it.Its easy to do and you can do it without opening the radio.The radio has a cheap feel with the knobs but the rest of it is quality.The backlighting is the best i have seen on a mobile radio.The adjustable roger beep is nice.The mic gain from the factory was low i maxed it and had nothing but great reports about how clean it sounded on am.The frequency conversion is simple you can do it without the usb cable with just a few button presses.Its worth the price and more.Very happy with the radio and recommend it to anyone.

UPDATE:Finally got this thing right on the money and i cant praise it enough.I have never spent so much time in front of a radio.The receive is really fantastic.The signal reports i get claim it sounds like a hifi set and i got to hear a 5555 from ireland and it sounded great.The person i talked with was running the astatic power mic teardrop and it sounded incredible.I switched to stock mic was good but the astatic sounded better.This radio is a incredible value for the money and i will be getting another as a back up.I almost dont want to put it in my truck.It has easily become my favorite radio but i fear it wont last as long as my 2950 will.the 2950 just seems better built.I have started using it without high cut filter i like the crisp audio.Tuning it without equipment can be a bitch.I did it by ear it took awhile but its good.I would adjust to the station in receive then call a cq and ask if it sounded on frequency until it was just right.Now my receive is perfect as well as transmit.The best part is no screwdrivers screwin with anything radio tuned and still factory sealed.I would recommend this radio to anyone looking for a good all around radio.Skip the 980ssb and 979's as well as the expensive stryker and the drifty 158edx this radio is superb.

Reactions: WECSOG
you can use the software or you hold down 2 buttons and turn the radio on, (i cant remember off hand what buttons but it was simple) i think i found the procedure on youtube or cbradiomagazine..

yes it takes the standard 4 pin mic, but you need to remove any wires from pin 4 as pin 4 of the radio is the power feedback from the channel up down buttons on the stock mic

1. Ensure the radio is off
2. Press and Hold both the FUNC and EMG-S/RF buttons, and turn on the radio
3. Release the two buttons; you should have alphanumeric
characters showing on the display: “1bAnd”
Rotate the Channel Knob until you get “2bAnd”
4. Press and hold the FUNC key;
The screen will display rES...
...then display rEnd.
...release the FUNC key.
The Expansion Operation has now been successfully performed.

Attachments

• AT5555 to CB switchover_a.pdf
    355.2 KB · Views: 66
you can use the software or you hold down 2 buttons and turn the radio on, (i cant remember off hand what buttons but it was simple) i think i found the procedure on youtube or cbradiomagazine..

yes it takes the standard 4 pin mic, but you need to remove any wires from pin 4 as pin 4 of the radio is the power feedback from the channel up down buttons on the stock mic

So, just snip the wire from pin 4 of any Cobra/Galaxy style mic?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I understand the 5555 is supposed to use the same board as the CRE 8900. Does the Anytone have distorted SSB on receive. The 8900 does on strong signals. I think the AGC circuit needs work. It just seems to fast on SSB. The RF gain doesn't seem to have full range either. I noticed there are AGC mods for the Anytone. Not sure if version 5 has this issue corrected.

I talked to a distributor for Anytone today. He mentioned the factory was making another production run this March. Maybe this will be version 6.

I imagine the 5555 will likely suffer from the CW sidetone to carrier delay that the 8900 has. I'm getting ready to send my CRE off to have a capacitor removed that will supposedly correct this issue.

hmm

never use mine on cw but its a great radio i enjoy it and the receive is just great.The sideband garble you speak of is because you have to tune it via the menu if you dont its a little off frequency it has that issue when its on its crystal clear.The radio is the best 198 i ever spent.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.