• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Have you purchased ham gear because of this site? What was it?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
With all of the information and reviews that members post about ham radio equipment on this site, I started wondering just how much these topics have influenced others to buy. So, I figured it would be fun to find out!

If you've purchased a piece of ham radio equipment and were influenced to do so because of this site, what was it?

i do more research, i do a google search which usually will include an eham.net review (i know eham has at least one troll who bad-mouths everything) search yahoo-groups, search blogspot and search youtube too, usually somebody will put a video on too and if something really is a complete piece of crap they will make some noise about it

I always search the heck out of something especially if what I want costs a lot of money

Reactions: 2 people
You bet! After following the review threads of the Yaesu VX-8R and FTM-350 I purchased a VX-8DR with all the toys (GPS, Ext mic, Larger Battery, desk charger, BT board) and the original version of the FTM-350 (now updated) with all it's toys (GPS, BT Board and Voice Board). Both of which have been great investments. My next purchase will be the Baofeng UV-3R Mark II based on it's review.(y)

From this board, (and it's earlier incarnations) I have picked up some good used gear. Also not having and kind of HROs within a couple hours drive from here the reviews written, video or otherwise are about as close to touchy feeley as I can get to most equipment.

If I had the $1200 I would plunk it down on the IC-7000 I have been drooling over for months. Maybe come tax season I will unload a few amps and a radio and finally take the plunge to the 'other side'.

Reactions: 1 person
Well let's see... Because of your site, I finally pulled the trigger and crossed "Ham ticket" off my bucket list seven months ago. Since getting my license in May, I've purchased an HF/VHF radio, two VHF/UHF mobiles, two VHF/UHF HT's, a 10m mobile, amp, tuner, power supply, meters, seven antennas, and hundreds of feet of wire and co-ax, connectors, etc...

Yes, your site has helped the economy. Had I not found it, I'd still be another one of those guys that LOVED CB as a kid and just never got around to getting the license to take it to the next level. Thanks. Thanks a TON!

My wife wishes I'd never found worldwidedx.com :eek:

Edit/Add - Oh yeah, and a recent battle with a balun caused a trip to the ER, allowing me to put another $1000 back in to the economy in the name of ham radio. lol

Last edited:
i do more research, i do a google search which usually will include an eham.net review (i know eham has at least one troll who bad-mouths everything) search yahoo-groups, search blogspot and search youtube too, usually somebody will put a video on too and if something really is a complete piece of crap they will make some noise about it

I always search the heck out of something especially if what I want costs a lot of money

I'm afraid Eham has more than trolls as it problem.

Majority of dudes just don't know how to operate their equipment, then they slam it with low marks.

Reactions: NZ8N and hookedon6
ARod: Let's say congradt's...You are truley now part of the Ham radio community!

7 Month's a ham...multiple radio set-ups up and running...
Antennas installed out the Wazu!.... And you've had only (1!) Oh **IT...
(You know the formula:1000 attaboys = (1) Oh **IT):D
Your doing well my friend...
Enjoy
Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays
All the Best
BJ

To advoid Hi-Jacking....
Mole: I purchased a FT2900 due to info here..73

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
After reading the reviews on the Beofeng UV-3R on this forum, i broke down, swallowed my American pride and bought one

Reactions: Mongoose

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated