• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP!!!how to custom alternator setup-regulated/unregulated

22-9 BIG-BAM GOT-DOWN

Sep 14, 2014
Hi everyone...surely I'm new to the forum...sorry...no luck finding any information on building custom altenator setups for multiple units...thought about going motor maul but I realized I would still have to get a bigger alternator anyway so why not go all the way...here's the ropes...94 ford ranger 2.3 unsure of stock alt, cobra 29 2watt dk swing 20ish, texas star 667v 1x2290 into 4x2879 dk 100ish swing 550ish relavent power 80% variable wide a$$ open, voltage drop 13ish all into mini8 coax out the best 102inch stainless steel whip money can buy lol LOOKIN to thump it into a 12 or 16 pill undicided...not sure if the little 2.3 would turn enough alternators to get the proper amperage so I thought about the motor maul but also heard bad about those heat boxes lol but now I can't find ANY info on putting together regulated or unregulated alts to...plz help would greatly be appreciated

Why not just put the effort into your antenna and doing bonding etc on your Ranger? All you're going to do is make life miserable for anyone several channels either side of where you are. You're not going to get any further than you already do but if your antenna installation is crap then you're not going to get out as good as someone using 1/10th the power and you're not going to hear much either.

100W is more than anyone needs. Anything else is just dick waving.

You might be able to go 8 pill, but 12 to 16 is going to be a lot to ask of that motor. Do you have a battery back up system yet? If not it may benefit the current setup getting a couple of good batteries. Also upgrading your coax to lmr400 of good make like times microwave or Andrew will help. And last get that antenna above the roof if it's not. A good brass or puck mount on top of the roof of the cab will help. You didn't say where you have your current antenna. With going to a 12 or 16 pill amp I will say this, have all your ducks in a row as it's gonna cost you in the end if you don't get it right! JMO. I have seen an 8 pill setup get out talked by a good 4 pill setup. Just sayin. Good luck and god bless.

Motor Maul is a bandaid, don`t do it.
Unless you plan to try keydowns, volting amps above the 12 volt standard auto system is a losing battle.
The Toshiba transistors that allowed guys to run amps at 16/17/18/19/20 volts are drying up, DEI transistors will not take this kind of abuse, nor will the handful of other transistors that are left now used to replace the 2879.
That 667 that you have would vent it`s ten ohm smoke all over the cab of your truck if you try to go even a touch over 15 volts.
You little truck will struggle to run a big amp, not worth it.
If DX in the mobile is what you are looking for, work at preventing any loss you can in feeding your amp and getting the most out of your antenna system.
Take a lesson from our comrades across the pond.
They seek out places were they can park, put up a light weight base antenna and work DX in the clear, and have done this for years.
If you have keydown/morepower fever be prepared to open your wallet to see $$ wisp away........
The guys running burbans/6 alts/5 antennas have a different mind set and disposable income.

Jeff

Thanks to everyone...I really appreciate the help...it's has opened my mind up to alot..i am very much interested in the bonding u speak of mogvz I've never heard of that before...
not going towards the keydown thing jus thought it would be nice to have that extra mudduck hammer for some of the locals I run with...no I'm not volting I have been a victim of the magic smoke...my antenna is mounted on the back of my aluminum tool box via mirror mount which I plan on moving while I upgrade to rg213 coax I think it's called...not familiar with coax u mention 222dbfl...after all the info I am more interested in bonding, grounding and antenna adjustments since I forgot to mention I have high swrs with my box on but 1.5 to 1 with it off on ch21 local talking and bleeding most of my power everywhere else while being able to cook eggs on the top of my little 667 if u know what I mean...gosh I've been talking on this setup for abt three yrs and shes still talkin loud and proud...jus have too many little problems to deal with first but the thought of that big alt setup with a big box was jus something extra later on...COME ON GUYS LETS FIGURE THIS OUT :) OLE 22-9 IN THE HEART OF DIXIE GONE!!!!

Last edited:
LOL oh and yes this little power ranger has abt 300,000 miles and still pulls my 12ft trailer with both 4wheelers every winter to my hunting camp...jus thought I'd put it out there PSYCHO...ok back to business :)

To simplify things...what I'm really looking into having is a great little clean dx talking mobile machine capable of keeping the local mudducks at bay..I'm actually quite happy with my little 667 and favor the loud clean clear audio that I get from the radio and mic combo I use than just brute force...as mentioned b4 jus the thought of having such a big setup would be nice I think ;) lol

Last edited:
Look up lmr400 coax, I promise it's good stuff, preferably times microwave lmr400uf. The UF stands for ultra flex and will be easier to work with in a mobile install, as far as bonding, use flat braid type grounding straps and use them on all fenders to door to hood to can and to the frame. Also moving your antenna up to at Least the back of the roof, the base of your antenna should be at or above the cab roof line and not below it. You most likely have bad reflection issues as a result of the current mounting setup. I promise you this if you think you are having issues now with your current setup you step that up 2 to 3 times with going from a 4 to 12 or 16 pill, it takes a lot of work and money and time to get it right. You need to work on your antenna system IMO, I would get a good puck mount and mount a good antenna on top of the cab of the truck first off and have the antenna tuned with a good meter like an mfj259. You get that antenna issue and do some good bonding and you should get out fine with a 4 pill. I can take a 2 pill amp in my mobile and take it to the right spot and out talk just about any big station I want. Like others have said focus on what you have and make it as good as possible, good power wire, grounds, coax, and antenna, will all make a big difference if done right. Remember your system is only as good as the antenna. Use an antenna stream that has been properly installed and tuned and you might change your mind. Good luck and if you are really set on a big box setup get yourself an older suburban and go from there. JMO. God Bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.