• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help making a list of essentials to take to a remote island for DX.

darkfibre

Dec 24, 2016
Hi people,

I am new to the forum, and I have just passed my standard license assessment in Australia.
I live on Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean and I will be setting up for HF.
License limit is 100w
I have multimeters, soldering gear and a 100mhz scope, but nothing else yet.

Freight takes MONTHS to get to the island, so I am starting a list of whats needed.
Things like what cables, what connectors and so on. I am very much a DIYer so what materials for antenna construction, what bits of ferrite/toroids etc.
When I get my callsign (applied for VK9VKC) I will put up a website detailing my progress.
(vk9vkc@island.cx)

I am looking at a FTDX-1200 transceiver, which evidently has a built in antenna tuner.

So, suggestions pretty please?

Ta,
Cliff

Reactions: Zombiejeep

Below is what I would want for starters:

Transceiver
12v Power Supply
External SWR/Power Meter
External Antenna Tuner (manual)
Coax
PL-259/SO-239 HF connectors
Soldering Iron/Gun
Solder
Wire (10/12/14/18ga)
Wire Terminals/Wire Nuts
VOM Meter
Ground Rod(s) and connectors
Hand Tools
1:1/4:1/9:1 Balun(s) or parts
Antenna Analyzer (not mandatory but nice to have)
Pulleys (antenna)
Rope (antenna)
Masts and Guys (?)
Dummy Load

Congratulations on the new license and good luck!

Last edited:
But seriously now . . .

The biggest problem I can see for setting up a station there, is the height available to put up a wire dipole or loop for the bands. As that height will directly affect its usefulness. Need some 100 ft trees if available . . .

But seriously now . . .

The biggest problem I can see for setting up a station there, is the height available to put up a wire dipole or loop for the bands. As that height will directly affect its usefulness. Need some 100 ft trees if available . . .
One antenna option will be to run a dipole from the deck to a neighbor's front deck across a vacant block, rough guess is that I have a bout 40m to play with.
I have a hill behind me, but i'm elevated looking N - N/W

View out;
20150910_142821_zpsd10lmq4n.jpg

Below is what I would want for starters:

Transceiver
12v Power Supply
External SWR/Power Meter
External Antenna Tuner (manual)
Coax
PL-259/SO-239 HF connectors
Soldering Iron/Gun
Solder
Wire (10/12/14/18ga)
Wire Terminals/Wire Nuts
VOM Meter
Hand Tools
1:1/4:1/9:1 Balun(s) or parts
Pulleys (antenna)
Rope (antenna)
Masts and Guys (?)
Dummy Load

Congratulations on the new license and good luck!

Thanks,
I will use this as a base list :)

Cliff

One antenna option will be to run a dipole from the deck to a neighbor's front deck across a vacant block, rough guess is that I have a bout 40m to play with.
I have a hill behind me, but i'm elevated looking N - N/W

View out;
20150910_142821_zpsd10lmq4n.jpg
Think you missed my point.
Height will directly affect the usefulness of whatever wire antenna you choose.
Example:
An 80m dipole at 20 ft above ground will have a nearly vertical polarization (more vertical than horizontal), making it a poor bet. Same antenna a 65 ft high still isn't much better, but improves. At 120 ft high off of the ground, it is fairly efficient and has acceptable polarization (more horizontal than vertical). Might want to read up on this again.

Sooo . . . what bands do you need to work?

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
OK, here is my starter list.

Already on Island;
Hand Tools
Soldering Iron/Gun
Solder/tape/heatshrink
Mutlitmeter
Scope

Ordered / In Transit;

To get;
Transceiver - hoping to close a deal on a Yaesu FTDX 1200
12v Power Supply - Yes - supplied with above
External SWR/Power Meter
External Antenna Tuner (manual) - the FTDX1200 has internal ATU, good enough?
Coax - RG58 is cheaper - good enough?
PL-259/SO-239 HF connectors ordered
Wire (10/12/14/18ga)
Wire Terminals/Wire Nuts
1:1/4:1/9:1 Balun(s) or parts - making a parts to buy list
Pulleys (antenna)
Rope (antenna)
Masts and Guys (?)
Dummy Load - 100w transmitter - do I need 100w peak or constant?

Think you missed my point.
Height will directly affect the usefulness of whatever wire antenna you choose.
Example:
An 80m dipole at 20 ft above ground will have a nearly vertical polarization, making it a poor bet. Same antenna a 65 ft high still isn't much better, but improves. At 120 ft high off of the ground, it is fairly efficient and has acceptable polarization. Might want to read up on this again.

Sooo . . . what bands do you need to work?

Thanks for the clear explanation.
I am trying to avoid fundamental mistakes.

OK Bands. There are no local Hams on the island at all, so I am having to rely on research.
A DXpedition to the island in 2014 put up their stats for what contacts they made http://vk9.nobody.jp/stats.htm

Extrapolating from that and the fact my license does not allow 17 meters, I am currently thinking that 10,15 and 20 meters will be the go.

Cliff

Cliff: First Welcome and Congrats on your ticket!
It is always very easy to spend someone else's money, but given the location and your available material on-site you may want to consider some of these options.

Antennas: http://www.k4kio.com/store/ ...and / or...http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/

http://k5rwk.org/rwk01/attachments/article/24/Multiband Wire Antennas.pdf

COAX: RG8X 118 CQ MINI-8 Lo-Loss / 50 ohm...in lengths less than 75 ft
Lengths greater than 75 ft total : RG8 106 CQ "Super 8" or RG8 9913F7 Belden

http://thewireman.com/products.html ...great info on parts and supplies you may need and possibly find from Suppliers closer to your part of the world.

Dummy load: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Categories.php?sub=0&ref=20
Look at the DRY types...at the 1000-1500w range....
These will be best in the long haul especially when you upgrade to higher power level...

External Antenna Tuner (manual) - the FTDX1200 has internal ATU, good enough?

Only if every antenna is tuned to perfection....these tuners in radios have small tuning range VSWR 2:1 or less as a good practice. They are ONLY usable with coax feed antennas tuned to a specific band...meaning you can not use an antenna tuned for 20m band on any other band like 15/10m...

Transceiver - hoping to close a deal on a Yaesu FTDX 1200
Option I would purchase: FF-1...real time band spread scope module...see Yaesu site for info....

I would consider also a Desk microphone/ w stand/ Studio quality type:
Shure SM58....good all round mic...lower cost range...
I use several types on my FTdx3000D:
https://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/microphones
I prefer the PR-781 or the GOLD Elite...these provide a much "richer" quality transmit audio from the radio...

12v Power Supply - Yes - supplied with above
Good quality type...I prefer one with Meters and adjustable voltage...rated at least 30 amps or greater IMHO

OK enough for now
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

PS: A GOOD op and member in your part of the globe is here often: Mark / vkrules
He is a good antenna experimenter and fine operator. I have worked him many times from the Central United States...He should be able to help you with material info and suppliers from your part of the globe...

Reactions: 222DBFL
http://www.qsl.net/v73ns/backyardwireantennaes.pdf

Did not see ladderline on the list ( I did not read all the lists recommendations either)

Do not over look a vertical antenna for long haul dx.
Spare microphones
Dacron type rope for the antennas , Dacron will survive the harsh salt water and constant sunshine (UV) environment on the island.

Height above ground definitely helps when installing an antenna.
I worked Papa New Guinea. Op had a 20 meter dipole suspended above the beach by a bamboo pole, he was 18 feet above ground level and my QTH is in Florida USA
so do not let the height worry you to much, get an antenna up and get a signal on the air you will definitely have a pile up very quickly.

Congrats on the license and look forward to working you on the bands

Reactions: Robb and 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.