• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help making a list of essentials to take to a remote island for DX.

definite ladderline,,,
Dacron rope,,
1:1,,1:4 baluns
14 or 18 gauge wire is fine, stranded is easier to work with
rg 58 is fine
ferrite beads to be used for RF chokes on the feedline.
if you plan on use multi band vertical look at a unun

Looks like your plan is coming together real well,
you will have a great time working DX mother nature willing.

Reactions: Robb
Examine the specifications on any rope carefully to be sure it is uV resistant. Cheap hardware store rope won't last in the sun.

Probably only able to be sourced through amateur radio suppliers is Mastrant synthetic rope which so far is holding up very well for me.

Anyway congrats I see vk9vkl is reserved , must be waiting for you .The whole process is much faster in a Mainland Capitol city, mine only took about a week to process . Now if your gear would hurry up and arrive?

Passed on 23rd Dec, 1 day after WIA shut for a month. WIA processed it through to ACMA on 24th Jan, And it came through today, and is live now I rang and paid the fee.

First antenna will be a G5RV mounted here.
Its going to be my get on the air antenna for now.

Will be 8 weeks for the next ship for any materials for verticals.
I think my Coax missed the ship that will be here in a week.

antenna3_zpsocswafrr.jpg
antenna2_zpsugffprvy.jpg

Not very high off of the ground? Perhaps roof peak to roof peak? A G5RV is really a 20m antenna; so a 1/4 wave length above ground will be 5m. Which would be the minimum. Higher would be much better. 10m off the ground would be decent.

Reactions: wavrider
Progress.
Radio freight expected on 24th Feb - 2 weeks and counting down.

I have found a 3 piece telescopic aluminium pole that extends to just over 5 meters. The smallest diameter should take another pole (chasing material).

What would be the best idea for a first HF vertical given the materials?
1/4 wave for 20 meters?

OK.
Truth?
If I was on a remote island in the Pacific, and needed to setup an efficient DX station; I wouldn't use a vertical. I would - however - put up the highest ~260 ft long dipole using 600 ohm ladder line and a 4:1 balun with a tuner. I would concern myself with getting it as high as one could - about 80-100ft up - at least. Stop at nothing to that end. Any real DX station is going to need antenna efficiency; not compromise upon compromise.
Truth.

Last edited:
OK.
Truth?
If I was on a remote island in the Pacific, and needed to setup an efficient DX station; I wouldn't use a vertical. I would - however - put up the highest ~260 ft long dipole using 600 ohm ladder line and a 4:1 balun with a tuner. I would concern myself with getting it as high as one could - about 80-100ft up - at least. Stop at nothing to that end. Any real DX station is going to need antenna efficiency; not compromise upon compromise.
Truth.

From a serious DXer perspective, I get where you are coming from.

As a brand new operator starting out, I have to be practical.
My first goal is to actually get on the air. I believe I can do this with a "compromise"

Hence the newbie questions - and i'm certain there may be some people who can give me advice on the best compromise possible.

In the longer term.
Going high tower etc where I live is not possible.

Elsewhere on the island a 50 meter high tower has gone up that has clear sky in the directions that look good (US and AUS) and it is possible I may have access.

Also 2 DXpeditions are coming up in October, and I can get involved and learn from them.
I may even make them an offer to not pack up an antenna or 2.

Reactions: Robb
With all of the discussions about antennas, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a hex beam. They're light and you don't need a rotator (turn it by hand). I'm sure you could figure out a way to put it up and take it down quickly when you want to operate.

Other things that I didn't see mentioned is logging software & PC. You'll want that hooked up to your rig to keep track of the contacts. You might even want to publish the contacts you make in LOTW or other internet sites (or your own site). Of course, we'd love for you to post the contacts here and can even make a special area for you, if desired.

Rig up a sound card interface and make contacts with PSK31 or other sound card modes.

And you forgot the whisky.

With all of the discussions about antennas, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a hex beam. They're light and you don't need a rotator (turn it by hand). I'm sure you could figure out a way to put it up and take it down quickly when you want to operate.

Other things that I didn't see mentioned is logging software & PC. You'll want that hooked up to your rig to keep track of the contacts. You might even want to publish the contacts you make in LOTW or other internet sites (or your own site). Of course, we'd love for you to post the contacts here and can even make a special area for you, if desired.

Rig up a sound card interface and make contacts with PSK31 or other sound card modes.

And you forgot the whisky.
Island is Duty and GST free, its just the freight costs that kills.
1 litre of fresh milk is $12
1 litre of whisky is $20

I have installed the free version of HRD and have set up a SDR unit for to be used as a panadapter.
I have made a QRZ page.
I have started a LOTW account, and sent via mail all the license and ID requirements.
I have made an account on eSQL but not set up a card yet.
I have my own site vk9vkl.island.cx (under developement).
I have been contacted by a few QSL managers.

My thoughts on cards is to design and print a card and use a manager. But I would send a card direct if someone sends me one, or sends postage (or paypals postage). Cards sent from the Island would have the pretty cool 'red crab' postmark
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eMk2mfV4r...Zs/iV69eI1p1u8/s1600/Christmas+Island+(2).JPG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.