• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help making a list of essentials to take to a remote island for DX.

Update.
1 week until I am on air (depending on freight)

Networking locally has found me some items to build a vertical.

2 X 5meter aluminium poles (3 sections)
1 X 9meter Galvanised pole (3 Sections)

The proposed G5RV will now be from high roof peak to high roof peak (fingers crossed) which will give me the height above ground needed for it to be effective.

What a Day,
Transceiver arrived from its 6,000klm journey to be thrown in a ute to its resting place.

Thanks to Dean Tindall for providing a road case level protection and gifting me the cost of freight from Melbourne to Christmas Island.
Thanks to Jim Pizzey for going out of his way to purchase and express post some essential items (ordered, but let down by island freight times).
And to add to that,
LOTW account Confirmed (Had to mail license and ID to the US weeks ago)

First DX is tomorrow, even if I have to mine the wire to make the antenna to get there!

Reactions: tba02
Checked the prop forecasts .
Christmas Is to east coast Aus 12 utc is best, but any daylight hours could be possible on 20m.
The States looks unlikely unless conditions improve . ( but hey , Iv'e been working US long path for the last Hour and the charts say not possible)

Reactions: wavrider
There was plenty of things on 20 meters last night, many from the emerites and a lot of contesters doing a french contact thing.

Other bands were DEAD, is this a normal thing?

Unfortunately, the main ISP for the island has announced they are shutting down at the end of month.
I have a NBN dish, but 90% of the island has not. As I am one of the computer people on the island, everyone wants a piece of me. Next days are busy setting up radio links to get data from the few small dishes that have net to where its needed (public hotspot, airport, hospital, ports).
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...w/news-story/83c2731c2373eac5c3f0543d34bf97bf

Well I found a few hours to play and learn.

I learned that it was fun.
Also that it can get VERY busy.
I have to pause and ignore the radio and record things well.
I need a better antenna than my starting unit.
Phonetically my call sign sucks. (didn't remotely foresee that).
I need an antenna the is on a different side of the island to get Australia and the US reliably.

27 contacts, 14 countries.
Closest 948 miles furthermost 7729 miles
FTDX1200 (100W) G9RV

Happy with todays work.

Reactions: Robb and binrat
Well i'm learning.
100 contacts and 30 something countries.
Minimal time is available currently, which is disappointing.

Can't wait until I experiment with antennas!

If you can give us a schedule of when you're planning on being on the air, a bunch of us would love to try to get you...

Reactions: BJ radionut
I am in the process of making a vertical for 20 meters and will be trying to set up mobile for a DX comp for VK operators. Mobile will mean I will be located on a high point of the island.
18th-19th March 2017 and will run from UTC 0100 on the Saturday to 0059 on the Sunday.

Hi Guys,

I am no longer making a list because I have been on air for 5 weeks now, so a thread about what to take to the island in no longer relevant.
But an update for so far.
Freight has not been nice to me. Things ordered last year are still coming - ship issies, and then broken cranes at the wharf meant that containers of freight have been left sitting around not going anywhere.

Things to avoid;
Cheap PL 259 connectors.
Cheap cable.

And no matter how many plug adapters you plan for and buy, you will never have the one needed to connect your SDR to the transceiver.

First month.
300+ contacts (140 QSL)
Grid squared
50+ countries (30+ confirmed)
11 US contacts (these are difficult)
50+ Italy contacts (these are easy)
50+ email requests to schedule a QSO
(Hi cliff this is k*2**, I need vk9 xmas island, for honor roll #330. Can we get a schedule on 40meters send? Thank you)
15+ offers to be QSL manager

It has been a good start so far.

Reactions: tba02
Below is what I would want for starters:

Transceiver
12v Power Supply
External SWR/Power Meter
External Antenna Tuner (manual)
Coax
PL-259/SO-239 HF connectors
Soldering Iron/Gun
Solder
Wire (10/12/14/18ga)
Wire Terminals/Wire Nuts
VOM Meter
Ground Rod(s) and connectors
Hand Tools
1:1/4:1/9:1 Balun(s) or parts
Antenna Analyzer (not mandatory but nice to have)
Pulleys (antenna)
Rope (antenna)
Masts and Guys (?)
Dummy Load

Congratulations on the new license and good luck!
10 cases of Bud is mandatory

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.