• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP! Wiring D104 TUG 8 to Royce 1-621

Goonior

Sep 13, 2012
I have a FOUR wire D104 from 1975 I am trying to wire to a Royce 1-621. When wired according to every diagram I have found 1- White 2- Shield 3- Red 4- Black, it screeches from the speaker. Keyed up it is fine, good modulation but as soon as I unkey it squeals like a stuck pig from the speaker. If I unsolder the audio wire from the plug, receive is fine and can transmit but, of course no modulation. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out :headbang.

Thanks to anyone that can help,

bluestreak (383 windy city)

open bottom plate on mike and see if there is relay electric switch,, if there is try changing it,,, the older 4 wire tug stands use a switch in base to go from relay radio to electronic switching radio. astatic changed that in later years with the 6 wire mikes, no switch was needed then. 73s good luck midnight special

Thank you for both replies. I have done both, been to the website and yes the switch is set for electronic switching, I have even pulled the damn thing apart and checked the reed switch inside, verified the wiring according to the schematic on the base plate. The stock mic works fine on this radio, I just don't know why I can't get this D-104 to work on the Royce. The mic worked fine on my 2000GTL that I gave up years ago :cry: even works on my 148GTL (y). I have tried caps, I've tried resistors of various values, but nothing seems to help. I'm starting to think this is not going to work no matter what I try!:angry:

Royce and Power Mic

Well that's not exactly true.There are power mics that will work such as the Royce power mic.The 621 and most Royce have a speech compressor in the mic circuit which is over-driven and subject to feedback with a typical power mic.A Royce power mic was designed to work with the radio,but the only real benefit is the ability to hold the mic farther away from the operator and still obtain full modulation.The Royce mic that came with that radio was manufactured by Bogan and is a high quality item.It will sound just as good as anything else you could use.

D-104 Hookup problem

Did you figure out how to hook up the D-104 to your Royce? I have the same problem. Can anyone help????
I have a FOUR wire D104 from 1975 I am trying to wire to a Royce 1-621. When wired according to every diagram I have found 1- White 2- Shield 3- Red 4- Black, it screeches from the speaker. Keyed up it is fine, good modulation but as soon as I unkey it squeals like a stuck pig from the speaker. If I unsolder the audio wire from the plug, receive is fine and can transmit but, of course no modulation. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out :headbang.

Thanks to anyone that can help,

bluestreak (383 windy city)
Try slitting the earth and the audio when the mic is in nuetral with a relay same as for cybernet radio's, in the Turner +3i add a third set of contacts for the audio which stops the screeching Turner +3b's or cs1's already have the third contact

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?