• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF antenna suggestions

depark

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 17, 2010
Kelowna, BC
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if I could get some HF antenna suggestions for my townhouse? I live in a antenna restricted community. I have no option to place anything outside. No flag poles, push up masts, nothing under the eaves or anything on the roof. I don't have a yard, it is all common property. I might be able to lay a wire on the roof but that would be it outside. I can put anything that I want inside or in the attic. I would like to do 10, 15, 20, 40m and maybe 80m but not necessary. Any help would be great.

Get yourself a wire for an inverted V either start with a G5RV which would get you started or buy one for the band you will use most. Or make one its very easy we can walk you right through it ;)

A dipole will need to be ~10 ft away from the roof to work; capacitance of close object will drastically detune it. A vertical will need ground radials. With either, you may also have TVI problems with the neighbors. With as many restrictions as you have, I don't know if you can get anything to work - to be frank.

I would put together a mobile setup if I had such restrictions. A screwdriver antenna with a nice rig can do wonders. But not what you can do with a dipole or a vertical base setup - of course . . .

Does anyone think that an "Antennas & More Omni Loop 80-10 or 40-10" laid on my roof would perform? How about a MFJ mag loop?

Do you have a balcony that you could set something on a tripod on?

You can lay a loop on the roof and feed it with ladder line and get it to work. You can also load up the rain gutters :) Just be mindful of the power levels to help prevent RFI. You could also do some type of horizontal dipole with screwdrivers in your attic. Something like this motorized version from Hi-Q could work remotely:
tadnew1.jpg

Or if you want to manually adjust it, Buddipole makes something similar:

tahoe4.jpg

You could also find a little manual vertical like the Super Antennas YP-1 and have a lot of fun. Super Anntennas is out of business right now but you can still find the antennas around.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.