• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hf base radio recomendations

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
I am an 11 meter idiot. With that said, I kinda see a bright light off in the distance. I am looking to setup a base for 11 and I would like to try a real transceiver. What should I look for used around $400? Any other words of wisdom? Thanks

Typically true HF radios probably won't satisfy you or the CB crowd you usually talk to using AM mode. The current line of RCI, Galaxy, and Connex fill that niche.

If you are more into SSB, then in the used market, The Kenwood TS-450 is a fine radio and usually sells for around $400 and up. These make excellent starter radios if you decide later to get your General class amateur license, you will be all set.

ts450sL.jpg

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
If that is the worst jab I get up here in the ham section, I'm good with that. I have zero use for am on a base. I really don't see any reason to run an export as a base. I'm just looking to expand.

Reactions: binrat
If that is the worst jab I get up here in the ham section, I'm good with that. I have zero use for am on a base. I really don't see any reason to run an export as a base. I'm just looking to expand.

No worries, I expected a response like that from you. Thanks for the pointer. (y)

Nobody gave you a jab or otherwise answered in a snide way. They told you the truth. Amateur HF radios generally do not perform very well on AM and a standard CB radio will sound better. Even an export radio will sound better on AM. People were trying to give you good advice.

Reactions: Road Squawker
With 400$ to spend I would look for IC-718 with DSP module, TS-450, FT-890.
Mike
I really like that IC-718, and it looks like it can be had new for $650 with DSP, and the mars mod is pretty simple.
A lot of the transceivers that have been recomendations to me are getting pretty old now, and I really don't want to deal with repairing an old unit.

Take a look at the Yaesu FT450D. The new ones cost a little more than the Icom but the Yaesu is a much nicer radio and better lay out over the new version Icom with DSP.

You did suggest a budget of $400 which limits your options to used radios over 10 years old.

One thing you will find with Ham guys and used equipment is they want good deals when they are buying but want to recoup nearly all their money back when selling. Having said that I would expect to see a used Yaesu 450D to sell for no less than $600, maybe a little less for the older non-DSP model Yaesu 450. About the same for the Icom 718 for both DSP and non-DSP models.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Take a look at the Yaesu FT450D. The new ones cost a little more than the Icom but the Yaesu is a much nicer radio and better lay out over the new version Icom with DSP.

You did suggest a budget of $400 which limits your options to used radios over 10 years old.

One thing you will find with Ham guys and used equipment is they want good deals when they are buying but want to recoup nearly all their money back when selling. Having said that I would expect to see a used Yaesu 450D to sell for no less than $600, maybe a little less for the older non-DSP model Yaesu 450. About the same for the Icom 718 for both DSP and non-DSP models.
That FT450D is starting to get a little pricey for me, but I will consider it. I thought I would start at $400 because everything around here exceeds our budget by a considerable margin.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.