• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hf rig or 2 meter?

Thanks for the replies folks. I wouldn't mind getting a small 2 meter w.t. Might be useful during emergencies. As for the general coverage rig I'm going to try to be as patient as possible. This isn't going to be easy for me. ........:whistle:

You can get one of those baofeng talkies on Amazon for under $30. I believe the model is uv5r. If you put up a base antenna you can buy an adapter and use it.

If you decide you like ham radio I would upgrade to a better rig asap. The QC on the baofeng is hit or miss but for $30 you can't complain. I have a yaesu 7800 that I bought used and its a good rig for vhf/uhf. I still use my baofeng to listen to the storm spotters when all the base antennas are disconnected.

You can get one of those baofeng talkies on Amazon for under $30. I believe the model is uv5r. If you put up a base antenna you can buy an adapter and use it.

If you decide you like ham radio I would upgrade to a better rig asap. The QC on the baofeng is hit or miss but for $30 you can't complain. I have a yaesu 7800 that I bought used and its a good rig for vhf/uhf. I still use my baofeng to listen to the storm spotters when all the base antennas are disconnected.
That sure is a good way to go. We use the UV5R for the SAR team that I belong to. Good for an easy 5 mile simplex.

Reactions: rumblefish
Worked just as good as what? Im referring to any doublet fed with coax ...the g5rv fans I run across have not had the opportunity to run something better....

Agree 100%, if its fed with anything other than ladderline or open wire, then, by defination, it's not a doublet

Reactions: camaro1
Agree 100%, if its fed with anything other than ladderline or open wire, then, by defination, it's not a doublet

Coax loss was the only point I was trying to make. So many people use a g5rv because they can load it up on any band and have made contacts with it.

When I used one I was able to get the coax hot with less than legal limit on some bands, lots of loss. I think is a good starter antenna but once he gets his feet wet don't settle. If he decides he wants to operate on one band a resonant dipole is cheap and effective. If that band is 20 stick with the g5rv.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated