• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

high power through a magnamount.

hcfr34

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
Can a magnetically mounted antenna handle the power from a dx 1600 amp. (sweet 16). Reason I ask is my truck has a lid on the bed, and fabricating a mount will be a pain in the rear. This is what I have
124.jpg

I have a predator antenna I wish to use, but it is going to be difficult, unless I can purchase a magnamount for it.

I figured as much. By the way, I was editing while you were dropping a post. What do you recommend? Should I bite the bullet and figure out a way to fab. a mount?

DOH! :D Where are you Fl native. I live in Odessa.
Drill a hole??? I can't do it. It is my first new truck after driving beaters for a long time. Bumper....? I considered it, but I have a plastic top on the bumper that would need to be cut away, and wouldn't I be directional with a rear LOW mount?

How long is the shaft on your antenna? If its long enough you could mount it on the center of the front bed rail. The coil needs to be above the roof though for best preformance. 73s

freecell said:
at those power levels you're just asking for problems with a magnet mount antenna.
I agree 100%!

I suggest getting a sheet of aluminum and bond it to the underside of your bed cover. Any body man could help you with this. Understand that this WILL increase the weight of the cover! At the two front end corners of the aluminum sheet, install 1" wide braid to the bed hinges to properly ground the aluminum sheet to the bed of the truck. Then, crawl underneath the truck and ground the bed to the frame. While you are under there, ground the cab to the frame too!

OR

Install in on the roof where it should be. Its still a good idea to ground the cab and bed to the frame! Depending on where you drill the hole, you may encounter a brace going across the roof. I suggest mounting the antenna as close to this brace as possible, but leave enough room for a LARGE fender washer or plate! This will help support the antenna on the roof.

If it was MY truck, I'd install a Wilson 5000 through the roof and call it a day! If you MUST use a big coil antenna, then the Penetrator is an excellent choice and is light weight enough to not cause problems with the thin roofs on today's vehicles.

Problem with putting it on the roof is there is a sunroof up there. I don't particularly like drillin a hole in the top either. Is there a pic here on the site about the bonding idea. I was considering mounting to the cap and grounding the mounting point. Your direction has helped me along with this mounting choice. I'll try to post a pic of the antenna, not to mention the mounting of it if I come up with something.

Mag Mount

I run my Joker 16 pill into a Predator 10k and i have it mounted on a Tri-magnet mount and it works great for me. I put it on top of my pickup towards the rear of the cab. Try to leave ground plane area in front of the antenna. Some people have problems. If you do try running a ground wire to the mount from the frame. I have a 17 inch mast on my 10k.

I'd like to see your setup. Forgive my stupid question, but what is a mast. Can they be bought seperate and added on to extend the highth of the antenna?

Antenna mast or shank

Yes you can buy longer shanks or bottom masts for alot of antennas. I know that Wlson makes them for the trucker series as does Coily and 10K. Usually the higher the coil is the less reflect. I run a 20" bottom shaft on my big rig with the dual coil 10K and have 22" on my 4 Runner with single coil with top loaded 10K.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.