• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Highest Gain HT Antenna?

A grey plastic wheelie bin?......Surely that's a ground plane kit for a 99!

Long time no hear George......Hope you're keeping well.

yep as you well know thats the official uk A99 gp kit.

yeah i'm fine, still pissin everyone off, lol.

is that you Ritchie?? its been a long time. i hope all's well with you and yours too.
73 mate.

Aye, 'tis I!....

Been some changes at this end lately.

Don't have your contact details...pc went into self destruct mode!

Been looking on a few forums for you....was surprised to see you on here.

Hope you're keeping well and life is treating you kindly.

All the best, Neil.

That Comet SMA-24 antenna has the 'suck' knob turned down pretty low. It is the best I tested/used/owned. Got that antenna tip from m42duster, as that is the antenna he preferred for any HT. He was right about that for sure.

I'm not sure what the OP's goal is. I can squeeze a bit if I hook my HT up to my mobile antenna; meaning that if the signal is border line, I can get a tiny bit better. Perhaps a beam/yagi would do a lot better.

For HT mobile use, I opted for a well built durable antenna.

I'm not sure what the OP's goal is. I can squeeze a bit if I hook my HT up to my mobile antenna; meaning that if the signal is border line, I can get a tiny bit better. Perhaps a beam/yagi would do a lot better.

For HT mobile use, I opted for a well built durable antenna.

Ht antennas vs ht antennas. Which "well built durable antenna" did you choose ? (If u dnt mind me asking).

The truth about HT antennas? They all suck. Some slightly less than others.

To add...HT antennas are made for very short range comms or to get you into the local repeater. The latter is all relative to the location from your location and effective range of the antennas being used on the repeater.

Going mobile with the HT? Get an antenna adapter and run a mobile antenna.

Aye, 'tis I!....

Been some changes at this end lately.

Don't have your contact details...pc went into self destruct mode!

Been looking on a few forums for you....was surprised to see you on here.

Hope you're keeping well and life is treating you kindly.

All the best, Neil.

hi mate, glad to see your still about, i figured it was you because of the handy up hills posts you've made, knowing your home situation i realised that ain't changed.

i'm never far from cb forums, or controversay :LOL: for that matter, i'm more on ukcb these days since tm 1 decided i was too honest about bullshitters and banned me,pmsl if i really wanted to go on i hardly think a ban is going to do much, i stay away through choice because i can't bare reading so much bullshit, age and my fragile heart:p don't allow it.

all's well here bud, getting better all the time, god can you believe i was 45 on sunday there, i'm eagerly anticipating my pension,lol.

you be good mate, dropped you a pm, best 73 Jazz.

hi mate, glad to see your still about, i figured it was you because of the handy up hills posts you've made, knowing your home situation i realised that ain't changed.

i'm never far from cb forums, or controversay :LOL: for that matter, i'm more on ukcb these days since tm 1 decided i was too honest about bullshitters and banned me,pmsl if i really wanted to go on i hardly think a ban is going to do much, i stay away through choice because i can't bare reading so much bullshit, age and my fragile heart:p don't allow it.

all's well here bud, getting better all the time, god can you believe i was 45 on sunday there, i'm eagerly anticipating my pension,lol.

you be good mate, dropped you a pm, best 73 Jazz.

T1 did get a bit silly for a while....At the time, I thought what you said was valid, still is, but that's forums for you!

45?....Whipper snapper!.....I'm 57 this year, but I can still get up them big hills!.......Hope you had a good birthday and not too much of a hangover from the Glenmorangie (or similar!)

ATB...Will call you soon.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread guys, will behave now...(y)

U guys are fine...doesnt bother me any atleast its friends having a chat rather than beating a dead horse (y)

T1 did get a bit silly for a while....At the time, I thought what you said was valid, still is, but that's forums for you!

45?....Whipper snapper!.....I'm 57 this year, but I can still get up them big hills!.......Hope you had a good birthday and not too much of a hangover from the Glenmorangie (or similar!)

ATB...Will call you soon.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread guys, will behave now...(y)

TM1 i've said enough on, forums can be funny places, huge ego's, a lot like radio.

Birthday was sound, spent it with kids (my kids;) before anyone gets the wrong idea) as usual, Glenmorangie i would avoid like the plague, i hate whiskey, more of a smirnoff/moroccan :drool::drool: woodbine party animal.

nice to hear from you mate, been a while take care, Jazz, 73 ;)

You can Google this stuff all day long, but the proof of any antenna is with hands on use and testing. I'd rather hear real time user reviews over all the crap there is on Google.

I think this is a good thread, and I've been a ham since 1977 and have tried and experimented with dozens of antennas, we didn't have the luxury of using Google back in those days , we had to try them and discuss the results with other hams.

My experience with Comet, and Diamond, has been they both make a good antenna, usually well made, and built to last. You can get a gain antenna for your HT, contrary to what some say, just try your standard duck on distant repeaters, get some reports then put on one of the " gain" antennas which are longer and resonate better and you'll see the difference. I have tested a few gain antennas on local repeaters, and have been told that with 1 watt I am full quieting into the machine. I put the standard antenna that comes with the radio on and do the same 1 watt test, and I'm barely able to hold the repeater up with it, they seem to be as efficient as a dummy load. I recently picked up a new Wouxun KG-UV6X the commecial version, and replaced the standard rubber duck with a Comet hi gain model 24 and its like day and night, the Comet antenna brings up repeaters that the standard duck cant even hear. The Comet is about 16 inches long or there abouts but it does not unbalance the HT when I set it on the table. I haven't tried the Diamond on it just the Comet so far. Gain figures don't mean a lot to me, what matters is how well it works or doesnt work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?