• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Highest Gain HT Antenna?

You can Google this stuff all day long, but the proof of any antenna is with hands on use and testing. I'd rather hear real time user reviews over all the crap there is on Google.

I think this is a good thread, and I've been a ham since 1977 and have tried and experimented with dozens of antennas, we didn't have the luxury of using Google back in those days , we had to try them and discuss the results with other hams.

My experience with Comet, and Diamond, has been they both make a good antenna, usually well made, and built to last. You can get a gain antenna for your HT, contrary to what some say, just try your standard duck on distant repeaters, get some reports then put on one of the " gain" antennas which are longer and resonate better and you'll see the difference. I have tested a few gain antennas on local repeaters, and have been told that with 1 watt I am full quieting into the machine. I put the standard antenna that comes with the radio on and do the same 1 watt test, and I'm barely able to hold the repeater up with it, they seem to be as efficient as a dummy load. I recently picked up a new Wouxun KG-UV6X the commecial version, and replaced the standard rubber duck with a Comet hi gain model 24 and its like day and night, the Comet antenna brings up repeaters that the standard duck cant even hear. The Comet is about 16 inches long or there abouts but it does not unbalance the HT when I set it on the table. I haven't tried the Diamond on it just the Comet so far. Gain figures don't mean a lot to me, what matters is how well it works or doesnt work.

Thanks for your reply. I hate it when people say Google it. Google isn't the answer all the time. It does take people doing hands on and like aome of us just dont have the time or money to do just that.

Thanks for your reply. I hate it when people say Google it. Google isn't the answer all the time. It does take people doing hands on and like aome of us just dont have the time or money to do just that.

Google has a LOT of results based on the hands on experience that you are looking for. Look at product reviews for hands on experiences when using Google.With all the time you spend here at all hours of the day and night as well as all the stuff you have bought in the last couple months I hardly believe lack of time or money is the reason for not looking for info on your own. Personally I will spend quite some time researching something on Google to make up my own mind rather than ask for something to be handed to me. Who says the guy that replies is right? But that's just me. I have always been the type to want to learn the answers to things and not just be given the answers.

google is quite helpful on some things but you have to wade thru hours of crap usually to find what you are looking for. i prefer to ask people their opinion on equipment usually

The problem with any "gain" antenna is just exactly what does it have 'gain' over. There's a considerable difference between having gain over an unspecified reference antenna and having gain over a 'standard' antenna. Gain over an unreferenced antenna means nothing, doesn't give you a good reference.
Another thing about "gain" antennas, especially for an HT, is that they are inconvenient. That 'convenience' is the whole reason for 'rubber duck' antennas. They generally work terrible, but they are more 'manageable' that a typical 1/4 wave antenna. A six inch long antenna is easier to 'live' with than one 19 inches long (give or take an inch or two). So, just how much 'convenience' are you willing to put up with? Sitting still is one thing, moving around is another, you know?
Just for grins, I have one of those Comet 16" antennas too. They do work well, at least better than the supplied rubberducky. If you cheat a little and use a 'rat's-tail' with it, it works even better. I'd bet a 5/8 wave antenna would do even better, but it would be a real problem to 'live' with, just not practical for an HT (a 13 element beam would be better too, but...).
Have fun.
- 'Doc

And just for information, a 1/4 wave antenna still has a negative gain factor when compared to a standard antenna. (That 'standard' antenna is a 1/2 wave.) But they are less 'negative' than a rubber ducky.

The problem with any "gain" antenna is just exactly what does it have 'gain' over. There's a considerable difference between having gain over an unspecified reference antenna and having gain over a 'standard' antenna. Gain over an unreferenced antenna means nothing, doesn't give you a good reference.
Another thing about "gain" antennas, especially for an HT, is that they are inconvenient. That 'convenience' is the whole reason for 'rubber duck' antennas. They generally work terrible, but they are more 'manageable' that a typical 1/4 wave antenna. A six inch long antenna is easier to 'live' with than one 19 inches long (give or take an inch or two). So, just how much 'convenience' are you willing to put up with? Sitting still is one thing, moving around is another, you know?
Just for grins, I have one of those Comet 16" antennas too. They do work well, at least better than the supplied rubberducky. If you cheat a little and use a 'rat's-tail' with it, it works even better. I'd bet a 5/8 wave antenna would do even better, but it would be a real problem to 'live' with, just not practical for an HT (a 13 element beam would be better too, but...).
Have fun.
- 'Doc

And just for information, a 1/4 wave antenna still has a negative gain factor when compared to a standard antenna. (That 'standard' antenna is a 1/2 wave.) But they are less 'negative' than a rubber ducky.

Dont most manufactures use gain over a dipole?

Most manufacturers claim to use gain over a 1/2 wave dipole. After seeing some of their gain claims, it makes me wonder if what they use is an empty beer can in the yard as a reference. They also like to mix 'dBd' and dBi' gain figures which you can't do unless you understand what they are. I think the main problem is that people tend to think the bigger the number the better it is. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. The manufacturers in general aren't lying, they are just not explaining very much. There are two ways of lying, by omission and by commission. What you say and what you don't say. You know? And plain old 'dB' means absolutely nothing.
- 'Doc

(No, not all manufacturers lie.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.