• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homebrew HF Antenna/ TH-F6A

KG5RKF

May 16, 2017
Hey all. I am a new member here but look forward to chatting with everyone and contributing and learning.

I have been checking around for any threads of this kind but cannot find a thread with an actual answer. I am fully aware and understand all the Pros/Cons of the Kenwood TH-F6A and using an external antenna.

I am starting this thread to see what everyone has used for an external antenna for this HT. I am in the military, so I travel a lot. I just wanted some ideas for portable antennas that people have made or use. Anyone homebrew a BNC connector long wire? How about a BNC connector dipole? How about a long wire using gator clips?

Just opening to ideas. Thanks all.

Don

I've used my ft 50 on my vertical dual band UVS 300. Works well .
I think your rig is a vhf uhf triband. I'm not sure about it having HF capabilities ?

It is a triband and also has HF Rx capability with AM, SSB, and CW.

Looking for something home-brew to roll up in a bag and throw it up when in the park or something. Thanks for the input.

I actually bought a dualband antenna that is made from ladder line.
http://www.n9tax.com/Slim Jim Info.html

There are plenty of plans on the internet to make one, but his assembly is pretty darned good with heat shrink, soldered connections, and velcro strap for when you roll it up. You can order whatever type of antenna connection you need. I've traveled with it for about 3 years now, and use it with a dual band HT in my hotel rooms. Works great for hitting local repeaters. Not sure about a tri-band one, though. You might have to make a 220 antenna separate, but even so, it should all fit in your duffel bag! Welcome to the forum!

Brett

A BNC male securely attached to a piece of stranded copper wire will work wonders - but not at this point in the propagation picture. You MAY be able to hear WWV and the other standard frequency/time stations, but no guarantees. No need to buy any sort of antenna for HF with the F6A; a receiver doesn't care that much about mismatches that would blow a transmitter up.

Just be sure you detach the wire when you want to hear and transmit VHF/UHF.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated