• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Horizontal radials

Pman62

Nov 20, 2017
I want to build a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna, but after considering my mounting space, I really need horizontal radials. Many years ago, I had a Radio Shack 1/4 wave antenna with horizontal radials and it worked great. Are there any formulas for making the stub match (like the Radio Shack antenna) to correct the impedance of horizontal radials? Also, I read somewhere (can't remember) that by increasing the length of the vertical and shortening the length of the radials the impedance can be corrected as well. Anyone know of any formulas to get me in the ball park for doing this? Basically, all I have is a SWR meter and a DMM for test equipment since I've been out of the hobby for MANY years; So many years in fact, I'm going to have to retake the test for my ham license.

Also, I read somewhere (can't remember) that by increasing the length of the vertical and shortening the length of the radials the impedance can be corrected as well. Anyone know of any formulas to get me in the ball park for doing this?

This is true, however I don't have any formulas for you. The problem is impedance doesn't change steadily as you make the antenna longer and the radials shorter. I'm sure their is a formula that would get you close, but I don't know what it would be.

If I get a chance later I will make some models for you to find the point you are talking about.

The DB

Also, I read somewhere (can't remember) that by increasing the length of the vertical and shortening the length of the radials the impedance can be corrected as well.
I modelled that for you in mmana. 42.6 + j0.27 SWR 1.17
Radiator 3.34m and 2 radials 1.97m each. Feedpoint 20m over the ground.
Mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated