• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How much ground plane for a 102 whip?

I am planning to build a ground plane base for a 102 whip to put on top of my camper. I was thinking maybe a 36" circle of plate with 8 36" wires every 45 degees? Should be plenty?

Yes, I would like an a99 and would love a moonraker 80 foot up, but I have enough problems with the owner here and would like to stay with the whip.

So can you have a TV antenna, and if so, how high can the top of the mast be above the roof?

Or you could mount the 102" on the top edge of the roof and drop a 108" 20 gauge wire basically straight down toward the ground from the mounting bracket/ coax shield.
That should make a decent center-fed vertical 1/2 wave dipole with ~3dB gain more than a 1/4 wave ground plane, roughly equal to an A99, and with maybe a 1.4:1 swr.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
So can you have a TV antenna, and if so, how high can the top of the mast be above the roof?

Or you could mount the 102" on the top edge of the roof and drop a 108" 20 gauge wire basically straight down toward the ground from the mounting bracket/ coax shield.
That should make a decent center-fed vertical 1/2 wave dipole with ~3dB gain more than a 1/4 wave ground plane, roughly equal to an A99, and with maybe a 1.4:1 swr.

This is a great idea to make a dipole like that. Would it make a big difference if this was mounted on a metal pole from the center? It would be great if I could have that on a push up pole and be able to turn it horizontal with both of the 102 whips I have. Why do you say 108" of wire, just to have plenty for tuning?

I built a pole this morning that I can push up 15 feet above the roof. I will add a bearing and stop so I can rotate the dipole 90 degrees. My only issue is that I have metal framed steps with handrail, and if I turned the antenna vertical it would be pretty close to the handrail. Any idea how much slope I can set the vertical at and still have good vertical polarization? It probably won't be vertical often, but I would like the option.

I agree, interesting link. I may have to play around with this myself at some point. He even posts the 4nec2 model, variables and all how convenient.

Some of the descriptions inside are not accurate. For example, the hgh variable is called "height of the feed point", but for the antenna being a center fed dipole, this is not the case as it is actually the high end of the slope. The feed point is actually the half way point of the hgh height and the hgh-Z height. Aside from that his formula's are correct.

I noticed something I haven't seen before as well, and learned from it. In 4nec2 every model I have ever seen has a segment number for its source location. Instead of a specific segment his model has a % number instead, and it works. None of the provided examples, and none of the models made by others I looked at were that way. It likely won't make that much of a difference, but it is something that is good to know...

Would it be beneficial to anyone if I duplicated this using a CB antenna with the high side about 30 feet high?

The DB

I agree, interesting link. I may have to play around with this myself at some point. He even posts the 4nec2 model, variables and all how convenient.

Some of the descriptions inside are not accurate. For example, the hgh variable is called "height of the feed point", but for the antenna being a center fed dipole, this is not the case as it is actually the high end of the slope. The feed point is actually the half way point of the hgh height and the hgh-Z height. Aside from that his formula's are correct.

I noticed something I haven't seen before as well, and learned from it. In 4nec2 every model I have ever seen has a segment number for its source location. Instead of a specific segment his model has a % number instead, and it works. None of the provided examples, and none of the models made by others I looked at were that way. It likely won't make that much of a difference, but it is something that is good to know...

Would it be beneficial to anyone if I duplicated this using a CB antenna with the high side about 30 feet high?

The DB
Thats good to know DB, thank you I am trying to learn all of this.
As soon as I can get over to my stainless steel welder I am going to have a 3/8 x 24 male end welded on to a stainless steel whip 62in. up from the bottom of the whip so I can thread on my sirio "trucker" 5000.
That way I get the coil up higher, and have less stinger but will still have the advantage of a full 102 s.s. whip antenna.
Another thing I was thinking about is to put the sirio 5000 ciol on the very top of a 102 s.s. whip, and still use the sirio stinger to "make" a 1/2 wave mobile antenna for 11 meters, and see where else it will tune too with my FT450D.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.