• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How not to repair a nice Kenwood TS-50

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
So a few weeks ago a guy had a TS-50 for sale. I have always wanted one of these.
He told me it did not work and he thought the regulator was bad from what he has read on the net.
So I bought the radio for the asking price.
A few days later I decided to check it out. no TX or RX. The s-meter slowly pegs when powered up. Really sounds like the regulator issue I have seen before.
Not a bad looking rig,
index.php

So took the top cover off to have a peep at the TX-RX board.
index.php

Hmmm, something just does not look right about this board. Different than any I have seen before. Guess I will pull it and get a better look.
index.php

Strange, all the TS-50's boards I seen were all SMD but I am seeing standard through hole caps on the board.
Lets get a close look.
index.php

OMG! it gets worse!!
But hey, at least the voltage regulator is original.
index.php

I have repaired a lot of ham equipment over the years. Even some that were dogs......
So, I am not even sure if I can repair this board or not. There is one capacitor mounted upside down that has the positive lead touching the base of a To-126 transistor heat sink tab, then the wire runs down to the base of same transistor. I really wished I had a macro lens so I can show better detail of this.
This will be a fun hair pulling project. And to think I gave 50 bucks for it :p

Reactions: 2RT307 and Tallman

So a few weeks ago a guy had a TS-50 for sale. I have always wanted one of these.
He told me it did not work and he thought the regulator was bad from what he has read on the net.
So I bought the radio for the asking price.
A few days later I decided to check it out. no TX or RX. The s-meter slowly pegs when powered up. Really sounds like the regulator issue I have seen before.
Not a bad looking rig,
index.php

So took the top cover off to have a peep at the TX-RX board.
index.php

Hmmm, something just does not look right about this board. Different than any I have seen before. Guess I will pull it and get a better look.
index.php

Strange, all the TS-50's boards I seen were all SMD but I am seeing standard through hole caps on the board.
Lets get a close look.
index.php

OMG! it gets worse!!
But hey, at least the voltage regulator is original.
index.php

I have repaired a lot of ham equipment over the years. Even some that were dogs......
So, I am not even sure if I can repair this board or not. There is one capacitor mounted upside down that has the positive lead touching the base of a To-126 transistor heat sink tab, then the wire runs down to the base of same transistor. I really wished I had a macro lens so I can show better detail of this.
This will be a fun hair pulling project. And to think I gave 50 bucks for it :p
I wonder what it is going to cost you in tranquilizers?

Reactions: 6.0 Liter

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.