• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to improve the reception of shortwave for VX-3R

cityhawk

Nov 17, 2008
Hi,
I ordered a YAESU VX-3R mobile transceiver recently. However, I always got nothing when I was trying to receive the shortwave broadcasting (Band 1: 1.8M~30MHz). I am wondering how to improve the reception of shortwave for the VX-3R? Do I need to set some parameters for this? Any friends will have similar experience?

Thank you,

An adequate antenna is the solution. Finding that adequate antenna isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world since there's no "do everything" antennas around.
One solution is an antenna specifically designed for the particular range/band or frequency you want to hear. Considering the physical size of those antennas is the usual 'bad' side, meaning the lower in frequency you go the bigger the thing is going to be. 'Shrinking' an antenna means you also shrink it's reception range. Getting that antenna as high as possible also helps. Expecting much from an antenna that's as portable as that HT is sort of unreasonable (actually, a lot unreasonable considering it's frequency range).
The advertising, while true, is a little 'optimistic' about that listening to SW while using either 2 meters of 440. The required antennas are not the same at all. If it works for 2 meters it probably is going to be terrible for SW, and visa versa.
Not exactly what you want to hear, is it? Sorry 'bout that.
- 'Doc

Thanks for your detailed explanation. While I was trying to find a right antenna for shortwave reception. But it seems there is no such thing sold in the market.

There's no commercial antennas to do that, that I'm aware of. That doesn't mean you can't improve on the 'duck' that comes with the radio. For walking around, forget it, not really much that can be done. For fixed use, there are several options. All of them amount to getting as much metal/wire as high as possible. The limits are only what you set them at (imagination helps). Almost anything conductive can be used as a listening antenna, just don't try transmitting into it, usually terrible results signal wise, but not always.
It's possible to do a lot of things with an HT, sometimes they just aren't all that practical though.
- 'Doc

[I could be very 'big hearted' and say I'd take that thing off your hands for very little cost. But, I figure I'd be wasting both our time...]
Hey, it was worth a shot!
:)

Hi,

If I search "shortwave antenna" on ebay, I can found some antennas for the improvement of reception on the SW band. I am a Newbie, and I am not sure if it will work for VX-3R.

For example, 85' "SOLID BRASS SLINKY" Shortwave DX AM FM CB Antenna, it use an alligator clip for connection. I am not where to clamp it on VX-3R. There is KAITO KA33 AMPLIFIED ACTIVE LOOP SHORTWAVE ANTENNA + MW on ebay, and it looks better (look at the picture).

Any ideas about this? Thanks!

Attachments

• antenna.JPG
    antenna.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 768
  • 4524_1.jpg
    4524_1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 329
you can buy a sma connector that will screw onto the sma connector on the radio. If you want, you can just solder a small guage wire into the center pin of the one you bought and make the wire as long as you can. Throw it up into a tree or on the roof and you'll hear a lot more than you can now. You can also make something like you have pictured and just solder the wire into the sma adapter.

Not in all cases, but in most, an active antenna isn't going to be the 'best' idea in the world. They do amplify signals, but they amplify noise right along with those signals. Until you get into the really, really expensive ones that 'filter' noise electronically. Fine if you can afford it, but not exactly the most practical for most people, sort of. Much easier/cheaper to just get a better receiver, you know?

There is a place on the net that has antennas made for HF for the hand held radios. They were made to be used with the wide band receivers,but work very well on the VX - 3R. I use one on mine. I am looking for the link and then I will post it here.

Paul

I have that Kaito KA-33 antenna. It is a pretty good active antenna for the money. It works pretty well on AM broadcast band as well as the shortwave bands. Obviously not as well as a hundred feet of wire would do, but then again, a substantial wire antenna might overload the front end of that receiver.

"...then again, a substantial wire antenna might overload the front end of that receiver."

Not too likely, but if it did, that's what an RF gain control, or attenuators are for.
- 'Doc

Cityhawk

One approach not talked about is how I addressed the issue.

I have a VX3 and Icom92 that I have put a Diamond SMA to BNC adaptor on. I like the easy on/off of the antenna when I stow my radio between use. This also allows me to use a BNC to 5 way binding post adaptor on the VX3. With that adaptor attached a random length long wire antenna to the red post will improve reception. Telescoping antennas of significant length with BNC connectors can be found, but with the small size of the radio the telescoping antenna becomes unruly.

Hi,
I ordered a YAESU VX-3R mobile transceiver recently. However, I always got nothing when I was trying to receive the shortwave broadcasting (Band 1: 1.8M~30MHz). I am wondering how to improve the reception of shortwave for the VX-3R? Do I need to set some parameters for this? Any friends will have similar experience?

Thank you,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated