• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to monitor / hear your transmisson?

I'm looking to have the test radio hooked up to a rf sampler then to a scope then to a watt meter and dummy load. I then want to hear how it sounds through another radio preferably without headphones.... thanks

Well you did just say hear it. Feedback will be an issue without headphones if you are talking and listening at the same time. You will need to demodulate the RF sample and then run it thru an amp to hear it if you just want to pick off a sample that goes to the scope.

Well you did just say hear it. Feedback will be an issue without headphones if you are talking and listening at the same time. You will need to demodulate the RF sample and then run it thru an amp to hear it if you just want to pick off a sample that goes to the scope.
I don't have to run it through a scope.... I just want to hear it preferably without headphones.

In order to hear well over your own voice you will have to have the volume turned up fairly loud and there will likely be feedback. Either use headphones (preferred choice) or get someone else to talk while you move far enough away to avoid feedback. A demodulator can still cause feedback.

I'm not sure what your looking for, but I just have a bench radio off to the side. Whatever I am working on is picked up by it, just a radio,mic and power you don't even need an antenna to hear.

Reactions: unit_399 and Robb
I'm not sure what your looking for, but I just have a bench radio off to the side. Whatever I am working on is picked up by it, just a radio,mic and power you don't even need an antenna to hear.
OK yeah, I didn't know if that was alright or not. I guess I could just run an ext. speaker to make it louder. With the demodulator do you hook it up to the back of the bench radio? How ishe it connected?

A demod samples a bit of your transmitted RF. It "converts" that RF signal into the audio that was transmitted and that audio has to be amplified. If you use a bench radio you do not need a demodulator and vice versa. In either case if you are close to the speaker while talking you will in all probability have feedback unless you kerp the volume low and tgen it is hard to hear the true sound over your own voice hence the recommendation for headphones.

I use the same setup. Only difference is that I put a 50 ohm dummy load on the bench radio so that the bench radio sees the same load as it would if an antenna was connected. Don't know if it makes a difference in receive audio quality, but it can't hurt.

Like it or not, you're gonna have to use headphones or ear buds to hear what you sound like w/o getting any feedback.

or get this if you do not want to build one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AudioSample...390674?hash=item4b08cfe992:g:1uEAAOxycmBS3f4u

This is the one I use

rf-am_large.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.