• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to: Use your Kenwood TH-D72 with Winlink for email

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
One of the site members asked a question publicly and of me in private if there is a way to use the Kenwood TH-D72 to connect to the Winlink system. Tonight I configured my radio to do just that and was very successful. Here's how you do it.

First, I'm assuming that your computer already has the capability to connect to the Kenwood TH-D72 using the USB cable for programming. This is a pre-requisite. Make note of the assigned COM port and speed because you will need to know it.

The software you need to use to accomplish this is called RMS Express. You can download the current copy from ftp://autoupdate.winlink.org/User Programs/RMS Express Setup 1105.zip. Unzip it, install it and run through the basic configuration. If you need to make changes to the install questions asked during setup, you can always access the options from the "Files / RMS Express Setup" menu item. It's important to use both your real callsign and you grid square location.

If your TH-D72 isn't connected to the computer yet, now is the time to hook it up. You have to configure the connection between RMS Express and the radio. To do that, select "Packet WL2K" in the dropdown menu on the top right next to the "Open Session" menu item. After you select "Packet WL2K", click on "Open Session" to go to the next step.

On the new screen that pops up, click "Setup" on the menu. We need to choose the type of TNC that we're using, which should be one of the Kenwood TH-D7 entries. Choose either the "A-Band" or "B-Band" selection depending on how you have the TNC in your radio configured. Next pick the appropriate serial port and speed. In most cases, you will probably be using 9600 baud. Click the Update button, which will probably result result in a warning about some of the settings. I ignored the warning and didn't have any problems, but you might want to heed the recommendations if your results are not satisfactory.

Next, you need to choose the "Channel Selection" menu. This selection will update your PC with all of the known Winlink packet nodes. When it's done updating, double click on a station that is close to you. The application will close the current window and display a message toward the top of the menu on the resulting screen indicating the frequency you need to set. You need to do this manually on the radio. After you do that, press the "Start" menu item and the computer and radio will attempt to make a connection...it's obvious when the connection is made!

Assuming you have some local packet nodes, you're all set to send/receive email using the Winlink system and your Kenwood TH-D72 HT. It's all fairly straight forward and works very well!

Enjoy!

Hi

I got it to connect but its not acting like I seen it done on YouTube or if I send it threw the intneret via Telnet. I will keep trying!

Sorry, can't help much with the D7 - they're different radios. I recently tried this with the new D74 and it's not working with the new TNC yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated