• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How will the new Kenwood compare?

KW4Z

May 7, 2012
I can't find any information on the proposed new Kenwood HF Radio that will introduced at Dayton this year. I have heard that it will be targeted at the premium radios on the market today which leads me to believe that the price will also be a premium. I have a FT1000 MP Mk V Field radio and I love the receiver and it's operation and although I can't see any incentive to upgrade I very much am entertaining looking at getting and trying one of the new radios.

From what I have been able to glean from forums and boards and people that have been able to purchase several of the new radios the best, for reception and working weak stations as well as ability to reduce interference is either the Yaesu fT-5000 or the Flex 5000. I have heard many say these are state of the art and set the standard today but I'm wondering is that really an accurate statement? I know that the Yaesu FT5000 is a 200 watt radio and will set you back in excess of $5,000 just to look at it. The Flex 5000 I have heard also excels in operation when you have the second receiver and 2nd antenna.

The question I'm positing is if anyone has heard anything regarding Kenwood's new Radio? If indeed the Yaesu FT 5000 is the best receiver available or does the Flex 5000 provide you with better options.

Reactions: 1 person

All I've heard are rumors that Kenwood is working on something new. I also heard a rumor that they are working on the replacement for the TS-2000. Is it true? I guess we'll find out at Dayton.

Regarding the "best" receiver, I defer to these test results:

Receiver Test Data

Their chart is sorted by Dynamic Range which puts the Yaesu 5000 and Elecraft K3 at the top.

True, according to the new QST Kenwood will indeed reveal their next new transceiver at Dayton. I viewed the list of products in the review that you posted the URL to and one of the most interesting things to me was how high the TenTec Eagle and K3 ranked compared to their entry level cost to the Ham Radio Operator.

I had all but failed to mention the K3 which so many have also ranked as the top receiver for performance. In fact if there were a measurement of quality of receiver (weak signal performance and adjacent signal rejection verses cost outlay for purchase of the radio) then from what I understand the K3 would be or should be at the top of that list. I have no experience with any of the newer radios and I posted this because I expect that the new Kenwood will be announced as the best receiver money can buy. Whether or not the actual data and measurements reflect that only time will tell but I am impressed with the feedback that the K3 and the FT5000 are getting.

I know based upon the testimonials of K3 owners who have also owned other radios such as the top of the line Icoms/Yaesus and FLEX radios I very much am considering the purchase of a K3 now. Just on consideration of all the factors you could get a K3, the companion Amplifier and still save money and have a top rated station. Don't know for sure but that's the direction I'm leaning but would love to hear more from K3 & FT5000 owners. Also am interested in seeing what Kenwood will offer. Who knows though there may be a K4 in the works to.

True, according to the new QST Kenwood will indeed reveal their next new transceiver at Dayton. I viewed the list of products in the review that you posted the URL to and one of the most interesting things to me was how high the TenTec Eagle and K3 ranked compared to their entry level cost to the Ham Radio Operator.

I had all but failed to mention the K3 which so many have also ranked as the top receiver for performance. In fact if there were a measurement of quality of receiver (weak signal performance and adjacent signal rejection verses cost outlay for purchase of the radio) then from what I understand the K3 would be or should be at the top of that list. I have no experience with any of the newer radios and I posted this because I expect that the new Kenwood will be announced as the best receiver money can buy. Whether or not the actual data and measurements reflect that only time will tell but I am impressed with the feedback that the K3 and the FT5000 are getting.

I know based upon the testimonials of K3 owners who have also owned other radios such as the top of the line Icoms/Yaesus and FLEX radios I very much am considering the purchase of a K3 now. Just on consideration of all the factors you could get a K3, the companion Amplifier and still save money and have a top rated station. Don't know for sure but that's the direction I'm leaning but would love to hear more from K3 & FT5000 owners. Also am interested in seeing what Kenwood will offer. Who knows though there may be a K4 in the works to.

I have a K3 and did a build review on this site. You really do get a lot for the $$ compared to the other rigs in that class. The best part is that they keep coming up with new firmware for improvements and new features and the owners (Wayne and Eric) actively interact with their customers getting and giving feedback. Their support really is top notch. Another nice thing about the K3 is that you can choose the features you want to start with and add in options over time to help spread the cost out.

Thank you also for your input. One of the aspects of Amateur Radio I am looking into is ESSB and I believe that the K3 includes this ability with the radio as it comes but I could be mistaken. The radios that i have most interest in, at this moment is the FLEX 5000 (with dual receive, requiring a 2nd Antenna), the Kenwood TS 590S, the New Unannounced Kenwood (waiting to see), the Yaesu FT5000 (having a FT1000MP Mk V Field and seeing what a wonderful receiver it is I can only imagine their improvements) and last but not least the K3. What I don't know is the remote ability of the K3 and the TS590S and if you can control the rig and utilize the receivers and features using a computer interface program like you can the FLEX radios. I am truly amazed at the way you can almost remove all hiss and band/natural noise with the FLEX 5000 and the dual receiver but granted in doing so you reduce your signal level as well but the end result is almost FM quality with no noticeable noise in the background.

I like the design of the TenTec Eagle and the reports that it has initially received and I like TenTec's return policy with no restocking fee but as of today I am only considering the above radios and naturally the FT-5000MP Price tag is quite a bit unsettling and I'm rationalizing that for that money I could have a K3 with P3 and Amplifier if I so desired. As for the TS590S I realize that this is a whale of a radio for the price and has great specs and feedback yet I am waiting to see what new offering they are coming out with. Trouble is it will take time for the actual field reports to filter down to the end users and prospective purchasers and we still don't know the price point. Anything above the FT-5000 and there is no way I can consider it unless some benevolent Ham was to take pitty on me (Hi Hi).

One thing that I have decided that the FLEX and the K3 has in common are very loyal and passionate owners and also a very noticeable absence in the Used market. Both I consider positives. Also as I look at it the TS590S and the K3 are the only two rigs that are at such a price point that I could consider a P3 and companion amplifier with it if I so desired. Then again I don't know much about the K3 companion Amp when you compare it to the other Amps say from MFJ. I have a SB 201 that I have yet to get up and going, only because I just purchased it used and need to get the interface with my FT-1000 right and I haven't purchased the parts to brew up my switching circuit to protect the Solid State Rig. Anyway again thanks for the input and Ham's today have a very good selection (including the TenTec Eagle) for entry radios. Granted they don't have the sub-thousand dollar price point that the old TS520's and FT-101's did for amateurs many years ago but the advancements in technology and receivers with Digital processing allow for such a more enjoyable operating atmosphere.

On a personal note, I've had many many radios (many twice was not a mistake) over the years but by far the most enjoyable and best rigs for the money have been the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field and my old TenTec Omni-B from years ago. The Icom IC7000 is also a great radio for everything in one small box but with the many nested controls on the radio unless you are working it mobile it's just not worth all the hassle and memory curve to have to learn in order to make it enjoyable. Again thanks for your input I do appreciate it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated