• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 display stains

Is it a black mark on the display or something dimmer? The back light is diffused through a paper mask and this can sometimes become discolored. Black marks on the edge of the display can mean the loss of LCD liquid :oops: , either a leak or static charge can "twist" the LCD matrix.

73 mechanic

:bdh:
Is it a black mark on the display or something dimmer? The back light is diffused through a paper mask and this can sometimes become discolored. Black marks on the edge of the display can mean the loss of LCD liquid :oops: , either a leak or static charge can "twist" the LCD matrix.

73 mechanic

Hi mechanic,

The stains or marks that i'm talking about are dimmer. Could see throw it. They don't cover the digits. It is like some parts of the background become darker.

73's

:bdh:

Hi mechanic,

The stains or marks that i'm talking about are dimmer. Could see throw it. They don't cover the digits. It is like some parts of the background become darker.

73's

The 2510 back light is notorious for running hot and melting the holder it is in, this can cause a problem as the bulb can get out of place and throw shadows.
Stains on the paper diffuser, it can be changed out but you have to tilt the front face of the radio out and remove the RIT, Squelch, RF gain and vol knob board to make room to take the display out. Not a hard job but a delicate one.
If the LCD display is dirty then the same removal is needed to clean it. From what you describe the display is not showing black spots in the display it self. If you could capture it and post a JPG here it would help.
I've taken a LED back light out of a display module and installed it in one of my 2510s, it has about twenty SMD LEDs and runs on five volts DC at 40 mA. I had to use a 5 volt regulator to drop the 12 volts down plus a resistor.

73 mechanic

Reactions: tecnicoloco
The 2510 back light is notorious for running hot and melting the holder it is in, this can cause a problem as the bulb can get out of place and throw shadows.
Stains on the paper diffuser, it can be changed out but you have to tilt the front face of the radio out and remove the RIT, Squelch, RF gain and vol knob board to make room to take the display out. Not a hard job but a delicate one.
If the LCD display is dirty then the same removal is needed to clean it. From what you describe the display is not showing black spots in the display it self. If you could capture it and post a JPG here it would help.
I've taken a LED back light out of a display module and installed it in one of my 2510s, it has about twenty SMD LEDs and runs on five volts DC at 40 mA. I had to use a 5 volt regulator to drop the 12 volts down plus a resistor.

73 mechanic

Check it out. This is what I'm talking about. ;)

Attachments

• DSC01599.JPG
    DSC01599.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC01602.JPG
    DSC01602.JPG
    965.7 KB · Views: 23
Stains....

Your pics show both..... In the lower right corner there is the telltail sign of the "Black leakage" of the LCD ! Since it is not really bothering the readout then you can ignore this fault as long as it does not spread.
The stains are defiantly between the LCD and the paper diffuser. This can be replaced or cleaned. Depending on the cause of the stain. Looks like it may have gotten wet or possible over spray from potentiometer cleaner. :oops:
The stain could be from the LCD over heating and the Liquid could have been forced out of the glass sandwich causing the stain...

73 mechanic

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.