• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 FM repeater offset mod

X

Xracerx13

Here's a little something for whoever is feeling up to doing it.
I have this done in my HR2510 and it works great.

The HR2510 repeater offset mod. Spoken of, but never any documentation available to do the mod.

It is a 100khz offset TX frequency crystal switch for FM mode only repeater use on 10 meters using the roger beep button to enable it.
After the mod the roger beep button will only work as an On Off for the circuit in FM mode, and will not do anything in any other mode. If you change modes to say SSB or AM the circuit will turn off if roger beep button is still depressed. The roger beep tone becomes permanently disabled after this circuit addition.
All that is needed is some extra various components listed below, and placed as seen in my crude picture.
The orientation in the photo is looking at the radio from rear to front. I'll correct it some day to make it easier on the eyes.

Parts and tools needed:
1. one 10.7975mhz crystal
2. two 12v 8 pin 2 NO - 2 NC DPDT relays
3. two 3.9k 1/2w resistors
4. two 1N4148 diodes
5. one .02uf 100v ceramic disc capacitor
6. one .01uf 2kv ceramic disc capacitor
7. Some good insulated wire
8. An exacto knife

HR2510 repeater offset mod.jpg

Here's a little something for whoever is feeling up to doing it.
I have this done in my HR2510 and it works great.

The HR2510 repeater offset mod. Spoken of, but never any documentation available to do the mod.

It is a 100khz offset TX frequency crystal switch for FM mode only repeater use on 10 meters using the roger beep button to enable it.
After the mod the roger beep button will only work as an On Off for the circuit in FM mode, and will not do anything in any other mode. If you change modes to say SSB or AM the circuit will turn off if roger beep button is still depressed. The roger beep tone becomes permanently disabled after this circuit addition.
All that is needed is some extra various components listed below, and placed as seen in my crude picture.
The orientation in the photo is looking at the radio from rear to front. I'll correct it some day to make it easier on the eyes.

Parts and tools needed:
1. one 10.7975mhz crystal
2. two 12v 8 pin 2 NO - 2 NC DPDT relays
3. two 3.9k 1/2w resistors
4. two 1N4148 diodes
5. one .02uf 100v ceramic disc capacitor
6. one .01uf 2kv ceramic disc capacitor
7. Some good insulated wire
8. An exacto knife

View attachment 22221
Interesting.

Of course without a PL tone board, the relatively few 10 meter repeaters scattered across the country won't hear you.

The HR2600's are already setup for repeater use with manual DIP switches for PL tones and a 100Khz offset. If you can find these models, you would be good to go.

What would be better if you or someone knowledgeable can make a "chipswitch" like the previous ones. The chipswitch really made those President models step up in function and versatility.

I have 2 chipswitched HR2600's that are aging and needing to be recapped. I might be looking to just sell them, not sure yet.

That is true but I got lucky because in my area there is a 10 meter repeater that does not require a tone and is also part of a megaplex.
This mod is designed for such an application that requires no tones.

That is true but I got lucky because in my area there is a 10 meter repeater that does not require a tone and is also part of a megaplex.
This mod is designed for such an application that requires no tones.

And if wanted/needed, could be done easily enough by adding a cheap CTCSS tone board.

Com-spec.com sells both internal and external ctcss boards.

I had a RCI 2950 that Chip from RCI service center do an install for a com-spec board for me.

There are (used to be) instructions on RCI's website on how to install it on 2950 style radio's. Maybe that wiring diagram can help you.

I would say you're better off with a real modern ham rig because repeater tones can be easily scanned and set without opening the radio and changing DIP switch positions.

If I could install a 1/8" TRS to transmit the audio signal, where would I connect it so it's not affected by any filters? I have a CTCSS app on my phone but have no way to introduce it to the radio other than playing it into the microphone while I talk. I'm told that won't work.

If I could install a 1/8" TRS to transmit the audio signal, where would I connect it so it's not affected by any filters? I have a CTCSS app on my phone but have no way to introduce it to the radio other than playing it into the microphone while I talk. I'm told that won't work.
A PL tone is a sub audible tone so no, playing it thru the phone will not work.

What type of communication are looking to do with a PL tone?

A PL tone is a sub audible tone so no, playing it thru the phone will not work.

What type of communication are looking to do with a PL tone?
I'm going for my technicians soon and I want to be able to reach/open repeaters. That's why I'd like to put a 1/8" trs input on my radio to use a patch cable from my phone headphone jack to the input so I can send them without adding a board internally. The less soldering the better as I'm not confident on my PCB soldering skills hahaha.

If you are shooting for Tech you will only get 28.300 to 28.500.
The FM machines are up on 29 mhz.
BUT!
It's good incentive to go for your General.

Jeff
I might instead, I've also started studying for that and it doesn't seem too far out of reach in comparison. Either way, I'd like to know I have the ability to use that in the future, it can save me from buying a 2600.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?