• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 no display...

tozito

Feb 11, 2009
Hi to all. I was searching for help on this problem and just found this fantastic forum, but I did not found anything to help me, so here is my story...
I just bought this HR2510 with some problems but the seller did not know what were the problems... after powering it ON I get sounf from speaker but nothing on display (I get display light but no display info...). After opening it I found it was already moded, and also output of IC312 (7805) was not connected. I solder it and power it on again but it gets very hot!!! and only 1,5V on its output. After some search I found the IC312 output line was shortcutted to ground by the case of a transitor nearby... this problem was solved and I have 5V on this line, but Still no display info... I found 5V and ground on LCD board, but it seems not work (not even SMETER part). Any idea how to repair this?
thanks to all in advance.

Perhaps the display is just dead/damaged? You used to be able to find that part on the internet for purchase, but it's getting very difficult. It might also be possible to find another radio for parts only that has a good display.

Here is the diagram of the LCD PCB. I know this isn't much help, but it's a start. Are you able to RX anything at all?

Maybe Rogerbird will stop by and offer some input...he's the man on these radios.

You say that the output of IC312 was ground-shorted through a case of another transistor nearby? If this is true, you may have knocked out the other transistor, and that might possibly be causing the display problem. What's the number on the other transistor that was affected by the 7805 (IC312)? Let me know.

-Exit

Thanks for your replys.

moleculo: The only thing I could check on display board was its power supply. Also I connected it to my base antenna but could not receive anything, just QRM, but as I don't know witch frequency I'm lithening... RX seems working as I can tell by the sound coming out...

ExitThirteen: I made a mistake telling you it was a transistor, it was a regulator:blush: (7808) IC311, its metallic case (ground) was shorting vcc 5v to gound, after raising up IC311 5v line was correct. Also output from IC311 (8v) is correct...

My question now is: if the PLL board doesn´t send anything to display board (because of CPU malfonction...) should it be anything on display?

Okay,

good to know that it didn't damage the other regulator, that's what I was curious about. I *think* that if the CPU isn't working, that it likely isn't going to make the display work, although I could be wrong. I haven't worked on a 2510 in quite a while, so I'm a bit rusty at remembering things. I wonder if there's a CPU reset function in the radio somewhere... if there is, you may want to try resetting the CPU, that may solve the issue. Sorry I'm not a lot of help, tho.

Moleculo is right, Rogerbird is the man to talk to on these radios. He goes by either Rogerbird, or Rogerbird1 here on the forums. I'm pretty sure he could help you out. Good luck!

-Exit

Thanks for help.

After contacting Roger and some more search I fanally found the problem...

It was a broken leg on the uc oscillator (how could the uc work without an oscillation?! :)) this problem was undercover by some glue :thumbdown:

I havn't got the tim to check the rig working with an antenna, but I will try it this afternoon and you know about results... :)

Thanks for help.

After contacting Roger and some more search I fanally found the problem...

It was a broken leg on the uc oscillator (how could the uc work without an oscillation?! :)) this problem was undercover by some glue :thumbdown:

I havn't got the tim to check the rig working with an antenna, but I will try it this afternoon and you know about results... :)

Tozito what do you mean for the uc oscillator ?? I have here one radio with hte same problem as yours. The display won't turn up and no numbers or letters in the display... but it seems to RX ok...

Thanks !!

Tozito what do you mean for the uc oscillator ?? I have here one radio with hte same problem as yours. The display won't turn up and no numbers or letters in the display... but it seems to RX ok...

Thanks !!

Well you must have a cristal quartz near the microcontroler, check if the legs are ok.
If you need more help please tell me and I will take some pictures to you :)

Display issues

Hello,
Radiomaniacc,
First check the 5v regulator, IC312 From the front, the center pin is (isolated) Ground and the right most pin is 5v out.
See if you have that.

The Display board connects thru J304. Make sure it has the correct cable on it.
(J305 goes to the front panel board and will fit in the same connector - they can be swapped accidentally)

If all good, check the 3 diodes behind the 2 large capacitors on the microprocessor board.
the Far (unbanded side) there should be 5v on the near side (banded) there should be 4.4v
(roughly) Less than 4.2v on the left most diode can cause no display.

Also check the glue between the 2 large capacitors and around the regulators and blue xtal, if it is dark brown or black and brittle not light yellow or tan, you should clean it off, and claen the board with alcohol. and then inspect the board where the glue was, and look for damaged traces. (the glue when it changes from soft to brittle, is known to eat through the pc board traces.)

If all that is good, it may be one of the 3 capacitors on the display board. Usually C502 - 3.3uf 50v but I would replace all 3 . C501 is 4.7uf 50v, C503 is 100uf 6.3v.

The display does get its signals from the main microprocessor, but unless there has been a serious over voltage problem, the micro's rarely fail.

If you need further help, email me: Rogerbird1 @ aim.com

Roger

Hello,
Radiomaniacc,

Also check the glue between the 2 large capacitors and around the regulators and blue xtal, if it is dark brown or black and brittle not light yellow or tan, you should clean it off, and claen the board with alcohol. and then inspect the board where the glue was, and look for damaged traces. (the glue when it changes from soft to brittle, is known to eat through the pc board traces.)

If you need further help, email me: Rogerbird1 @ aim.com

Roger

I have a pic of 2510 board that suffered from glue "rot" and had zero transmit. It can be seen as the dark spot on the trace (B+ rail) , removal of the glue and a quick patch.... fixed!

73 mechanic

Attachments

• 2510break.jpg
    2510break.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 140
I have a 2510 that doesn't have a working smeter. I am at a loss as to what happened, it was working at one point, now it is not. Anyone have any clues??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.