• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hy-gain afterburner 403

moose366va

Jun 15, 2014
central va
Hey there experts. Need as much info as possible on this 10m amp as I can get. A freind gave it to me at no cost. Said he nevet tried it out. So I take it home hook it up and see that the 2 tubes are glowing. Left it on stand-by for a few. Then turned it to xmt gave it a shot. Relay engages but only 10w (which is coming out of my base) came out. Any help would be nice. I know nothing about this amp. Could not read the model of the tube either. :confused:

I don't think the reason for the only output showing is this but I think those hy gain amps are cb sweep tube amps and if I were you I'd drop your driving wattage down from 10 to 3 watts. I'm fairly sure if you get the amp to work 10 watts would be over driving that amp. I would also check those tubes out. Maybe thay have no life left in them. This is strictly an uneducated guess. Good luck

Reactions: 1 person
AM/FM bring that wattage down 2 - 2 1/2 watts 3 at most I had one of them years agoit was a cool little tube amplifier andit sonded great on the air olenty of power output to be heard I always thought about grabbing another one to play with.

I was using an old teaberry. Bout 3w bk. 10w pep. So is 10w pep too much for this type amp. Also, I dont know much about tube amps. But I have heard that sweep tubes are not the most preferred. Why is this?

depends on who you talk to.
the only problem I have with my sweeper is that the tubes are scarce and therefore expensive.
other than that, my two sweep tubes do a great job.

that being said, I wouldn't swing more than 8 watts into it, 6 would be better. don't strain the tubes, it'll cost you. I do 8 on am and 12 on ssb and mine is rated for 10 am and 20 ssb.
I only use the low setting too.

depends on who you talk to.
the only problem I have with my sweeper is that the tubes are scarce and therefore expensive.
other than that, my two sweep tubes do a great job.

that being said, I wouldn't swing more than 8 watts into it, 6 would be better. don't strain the tubes, it'll cost you. I do 8 on am and 12 on ssb and mine is rated for 10 am and 20 ssb.
I only use the low setting too.

How much do you get out of it on am. And on ssb. Wat model tubes are they? Who can I trust to send it to if it needs repairs?

359. Wat do u mean by load it up?

It has a load and tune knob. You need to optimise those to get decent output and to also not kill the tubes.

A tube amp takes a bit more running than just plugging in, turning on and keying up.

It has a load and tune knob. You need to optimise those to get decent output and to alslived down the ot kill the tubes.

A tube amp takes a bit more running than just plugging in, turning on and keying up.

Yes. I played with them for a sec. Not with a power meter inline. I was just goin off of a fellow that lived down the road. Seeing when he got best audio and sig. I let a freind use meter and ill have it back this week. Since then I have also checked out the sticky notes on the proper way to tune the box. When my friend was observing my transmit. He said that the best signal he received was barefoot. But when I started to try n tune it. He said he could notice a difference in audio. So idk. I hope I didn't mess it up wit my ignorance. The tubes were still glowing a dim orange when on stby. Minutes later. Idk if that means anything at all.
Again. Thanks for all the advice you all are given me

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.