• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HY-GAIN SPT-500 or Tornado 27?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
Getting my base on air, wanted to ask which base antenna was best. I am leaning twards the hy-gain spt-500. Can the hy-gain spt-500 tune to 11 meters easily? And what about gain, does the spt-500 have more efficient gain since there is no coil?

T23

Getting my base on air, wanted to ask which base antenna was best. I am leaning twards the hy-gain spt-500. Can the hy-gain spt-500 tune to 11 meters easily? And what about gain, does the spt-500 have more efficient gain since there is no coil?

T23
Sure, just assemble it as per the instructions provided.

Ok, great info, I appreceiate the comment on build quaility. Is there any cutting involved in the 11 meter tuning of the spt-500?

T23

5.3db, is this correct? This thing has 5.3 db of gain as compared with a standard dipole? what does this translate to as far as received/transmitted signal strength?

T23

id take the hygain, the sirio tornado uses thin wall weak tube.

Hey Bob, while I was recently modeling my New Vector 4000, I noticed that the tubing was a bit larger per tapered section that the HyGain SP500, except for the tip which was a lot smaller than I realized, plus it had a small top hat. I don't know about the tubing thickness issues, but the Vector looks to be heavier duty, except for this tip.

I checked my Sigma 4, starting at 1.50" vs. 1.25" SP500, 1.456" Vector. The Sigma tip is .50", SP500, .4375", Vector is .1875" which is very small considering it has a top hat.

It looks to me that all the newer antennas are weaker than we might expect, and if you're in a high wind areas like you, that could be a problem.

Heck, my old Starduster has a tip, .3125" x 27.5", that is pretty small.

Is the tip of the New Vector stainless steel?

Last edited:
The Tornado 27 is just as good as the SPT 500. I owned one and i noticed almost no difference between the two. Guys, i use REAL WORLD testing by putting the mother f**ker up and talking to other ops on it, and NOT some goofy computer modeling crap that to me is useless!!!!!! Just one redneck hillbillys observation.

Reactions: 3 people
its not a diameter issue eddie, sirio use thin wall tube for the upper sections, dxengineering say the sp500 uses heavy tube, if its not thicker walled than the sirio they are pulling our todgersr,
an old hygain was better made than sirio

dxenginerings own tube is .058" wall same as avanti & i-10k vs sirio about .049"

the tips of vector and tornado are aluminum.

Reactions: 1 person
That wall thickness is a huge deal aswell as a matter of fact I was talking with Tom Charles of Gizmotchy / Maco and they this past year also bought a new jig to have thicker walled tubing that setup cost them a little over $60.000 but the overall importance it the sturdyness.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.