• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I got something new to use and review

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
moleculo-albums-icom-ic-7000-picture1918-my-new-icom-ic-7000.jpg

I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but the initial impression is impressive. This will replace the Icom 706MKIIg in my Jeep, which will be listed for sale at an attractive price in the near future.

More to come...

Reactions: Nursecosmo

The learning curve with mine has been very steep but very fun. Not having had any previous all band radios to compare to. It seem to run very warm when turned on. I'm not talking about getting hot with full power transmitting (it seems to handle that just fine). It seems to get hot while just idling.

The radio building heat in receive is normal. These radios often have more then one linear voltage regulator mounted on the chassis heatsink in addition to the biased audio chip. It's normal for these components heat the radio. If it gets too hot in receive many radios will hold the cooling fan on in receive until the temperature drops.

A lot of the functions seem similar in concept to the 746 Pro, but in a smaller package. I like that they added a Manual Notch Filter capability in addition to the Auto Notch that the 706MKIIg already had. If you're coming from a 706 like me, there isn't that much of a curve to understanding how to just start using the basic radio features. If you're starting from scratch, I can see how it might take some time to really learn how to use the radio.

DSP filtering is nice. Adjusting the filter bandwidth and passband is pretty easy for a radio with only a few knobs. BTW, I have the modified AB5N mic which drives the radio very well. The first few contacts have all been positive.

A BIG tip for you with a 7000.

All the rear connectors are not strain reliefed and direct mounted on the circuit boards. In no way mount that with the connectors pressing against anything or they will crack internally. Leave slack on cables and keep the connectors free of leaning on anything. Try not to wobble connectors to unplug them too.

Also they run a bit hot so mount the brick somewhere in the clear.

Aside from that, they are awesome radios.

If you feed audio into the back of that thing, you would be very surprised at the sound quality on HF if you haven't heard one on the air yet. Very nice SSB audio driven with outboard gear.

I've had the IC 7000 for about 3 weeks now and can work my way through the menus like a pro. I also sent my mic out to AB5N for the mod. I bought the external cooling fan and 7" monitor. I love this radio. Have fun with your review.

I love mine for sure. I was new to Ham when I bought my 7000 2 gears ago and it only took about 1-2 weeks to be able to work it like a pro.

moleculo, hook it to your computer monitor I think you will like it.

AP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.