• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

i have a imax 2000.. plz help.

SHORT_LEGS

Apr 14, 2009
i turned my radio on the other day and all i get is static.. and i mean a lot of staic like 6 pounds of it or more.. i was wondering if i might have a bad antenna or is the coax bad..the antenna ia about year and half old..

Welcome to the forum S L.
Static can come or go on anybody's station.
I wouldn't worry about it or blame your equipment.
So long as you've done all of the necessary things - like grounding your setup - or adding a noise supression filter between the power supply and your radio.

We've had a lot of threads on this site that deal with that very subject. You might want to use the 'search' button on top - and then you can do a few read-ups. That may give you an idea where to start - and what your station's problems may be. You can then also ask any direct questions on this thread.

Last edited:
Yep...give it a few days and see what changes. Get someone in a car to key up so you can listen on your side to see if it sounds OK.

i do not hear anything but noise. the noise just started about 2 weeks ago and it hasnt gone away. before that it was perfect i could hear people talking from the strong stations to the weak now nothing just noise.. i have tried a different radio its the same thing..

thank you rob for the welcome to the forum..

Welcome to the forum!! As said I wouldnt worry about this static the weather is a little crazy in areas at the pressent time and what your getting is typical inteference wait a few days I bet it will be back to normal also remember Christmas is coming and its common for certain decoration lighting to cause this as well as touch lamps and ffluorescent strip or shop lights so these things you may also want to check around the house.

My daughters TV hammers my recieve so I always know when she turns her TV on some older TV and computer monitors can do this aswell so these are a few things to take into consideration.

It's the H.A.A.R.P Array that Gov Jesse Ventura tried to warn us all about!!!
That not static - it's mind control medicine!!!
:oops:

a) Seriously though - if two different radios alternately using the same antenna are both having the same static noise - you cannot blame/fault the radios.
b) Furthermore - antennas don't create static; they receive it. Static accumulation can occur around an antenna; but if one has their antenna mast grounded to the grounding rod properly with a good connection - then the antenna also shouldn't be an issue.
c) If the coax was to get soaked with water and ruined; you would see a bad match on your SWR meter. Check it. And check the cable for being cut, frayed, or just plain weather/time worn.
d) A faulty power supply can also be a noise monster. Use another power supply if you have one. Or power the radio from a borrowed car battery just long enough to see if it works OK that way. If the radio sounds clean powered with the battery; then the power supply filter capacitors are going bad and need to be replaced. Don't try to fix the power supply yourself unless you know what you are doing. Don't use a battery charger while using the battery; they make a LOT of noise/static and it will be heard in the radio!

Chances are - by the careful elimination of each part in the system by troubleshooting - you are probably going to find out that you are getting noise from a power pole that has bad insulators. Or - a nearby cable TV/Internet box that has poor grounding or a possible RF leak. A lot of people have these problems these days; one must hunt down the source by process of elimination. Once found, notify the power company or the cable company and make them aware of the problem and ask them to fix it ASAP (ASAP to the power company can take a while. ASAP to the cable people is usually pretty prompt. That's my experience - yours may vary). To be sure, ask a local friend that has a mobile radio to come over and see if his radio gets noisy when parked near your radio shack/room. There has to be something that is generating the radio frequency interference close to your location - the second radio should verify it. This will help confirm your diagnosis for the cause of the problem when you make your complaint.

Either that - or Jesse Ventura was right!!!
Put on your tin foil hats QUICK!!!
:LOL:

Last edited:
Join the crowd

i turned my radio on the other day and all i get is static.. and i mean a lot of staic like 6 pounds of it or more.. i was wondering if i might have a bad antenna or is the coax bad..the antenna ia about year and half old..

LOL! You might want to read my two threads I have posted here on WWDX.
Don't lose hope yet on your IMAX, The 2000 is a very sensitive antenna, but there are reasons for the static. Hopefully you might find solutions like I have or at least find the causes of that dreaded static. Here are my two URL's to my threads. Good luck to you in your journey.

James

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-...hannels-row-every-4th-channel-clear-bell.html

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/36452-imax-2000-results-w-gpk-balun-mast-isolation.html

static to you my be a noise that someone might recognize
can you record it and post it up so we can hear it to get a better understanding what we listning to
and maybe record it for like 5 minutes

It very well could be some type of interference that we could recognize like 555 suggested. The other possibility is that the matching section of the antenna is blown, causing a dead short. Did you get the antenna new? Do you have any ability to attach a different antenna temporarily to the same coax? Also, do you have the ability to attach a small dummy load to the other end of the coax and measure the SWR? It is also possible that the connector on the antenna side got messed up when you changed antennas.

It very well could be some type of interference that we could recognize like 555 suggested. The other possibility is that the matching section of the antenna is blown, causing a dead short. Did you get the antenna new? Do you have any ability to attach a different antenna temporarily to the same coax? Also, do you have the ability to attach a small dummy load to the other end of the coax and measure the SWR? It is also possible that the connector on the antenna side got messed up when you changed antennas.

I bought the antenna new.. Im going to get a dummy load this weekend.. The swr is 1.2 on a couple of meters i have .. No i dont have another antenna this is the only one i have..

ty you all for the help i dont know what to do. i have tried a different power supply, radio the only thing i havent tried is getting a different antennaor coax but dont have the money right now..anyone else have any suggestions? i will try almost anything ..

What state do you live in?

I have noticed different, predictable, noises as the seasons change around here. I live in Upstate New York. I have not identified them but they could be space heaters, electric blankets, electric baseboard heaters, etc. I also know that wet weather really sets off the noise from the High Tension Lines that cross the back of my property.

Please keep us posted - This is always a good learning experience.

Stephen

What state do you live in?

I have noticed different, predictable, noises as the seasons change around here. I live in Upstate New York. I have not identified them but they could be space heaters, electric blankets, electric baseboard heaters, etc. I also know that wet weather really sets off the noise from the High Tension Lines that cross the back of my property.

Please keep us posted - This is always a good learning experience.

Stephen

sorry it took so long to get back on here..i live in illinois..i cannot get rid of the noise..i have tried different radios, new coax, don't have the money to get a different antenna right now.. I'm almost to the point to sell all of my stuff.. i don't know what to do.. would a noise suppressor help?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated