• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

i have a imax 2000.. plz help.

ok i have tried a new power supply and a new surge protector..the noise is still there.this is what i have tried a different radio, new jumpers to the radio and watt meter, new coax.. this is what i dont get i can sit in my driveway in my car talk on the radio and there is no noise on that one come inside and there is 7 pounds of noise and the antenna is just over a year old.. im thinking about selling all this stuff. im at my wits end here..

ok i have tried a new power supply and a new surge protector..the noise is still there.this is what i have tried a different radio, new jumpers to the radio and watt meter, new coax.. this is what i dont get i can sit in my driveway in my car talk on the radio and there is no noise on that one come inside and there is 7 pounds of noise and the antenna is just over a year old.. im thinking about selling all this stuff. im at my wits end here..

Well I can understand that. I have my setup in my garage; not in the house. I have a computer and internet there on a wireless router. My noise comes and goes. I work with what I have.

But if your base station is in a location that is going to get that much noise all of the time - then maybe you should sell it. After all - you don't have a problem with your mobile. Some guys just use mobile radios exclusively. Short of replacing the antenna with something different, you have run the gamut and have tried everything to fix it. Even if you replaced the antenna with a different one and it didn't work out, you will be out for even more cash.

Yup; you're right. I would just run a mobile radio and get rid of the base station too - if I was in your circumstances. Ham operators to to great lengths to make their stations work, and this is just a CB base station we are talking about here.

If there isn't anyone in your area that can help you - that you talk to the radio that knows a lot about radios - then I understand your frustration.

Did you try connecting the radio to a car battery in the house ? It could be your noise is in your electrical circuit in the house from something.

I haven't gone through the whole thread again so this may have already been discussed, if so, forget I asked.
It's fairly common to have more noise on a base antenna as compared to a mobile antenna. So, if there isn't a huge difference in that typical noise level, there really isn't a problem.
One of the first things to try (if you haven't already) is to swap the radio in the house with the one in the mobile. Any significant changes? Next, I'd try the base antenna to the radio in the car. Not exactly the easiest thing to do, but possible?
- 'Doc

I don't know about where you live, but here, an S-7 noise level isn't all that unusual.

I haven't gone through the whole thread again so this may have already been discussed, if so, forget I asked.
It's fairly common to have more noise on a base antenna as compared to a mobile antenna. So, if there isn't a huge difference in that typical noise level, there really isn't a problem.
One of the first things to try (if you haven't already) is to swap the radio in the house with the one in the mobile. Any significant changes? Next, I'd try the base antenna to the radio in the car. Not exactly the easiest thing to do, but possible?
- 'Doc

I don't know about where you live, but here, an S-7 noise level isn't all that unusual.

i live in Illinois, the noise is there no matter when i turn it on in the morning or late at night..

well , if you disconnected the coax from the radio (not just at a amp or meter) and the noise was still there it isnt comming from the antenna or coax or any components in the coax line . if you connected a battery and isolated the system from the houses power/electrical wiring that leaves the radio as the culprit .

did you also remove the coax from the radio when you were powering it with the battery ?
you could also put the base in the car and hook it up just to see if the noise is stil there ,then youll know for sure if your radio needs some help .

of course , since your in illinois you could just be getting noise from the AMPOWERLESS SPLATTER BOX COMPANY . hehehehehe

i mho i think he may have a bad antenna.simply cause i think he eliminated
all other possibilites .either that or coax.plz forgive me if ya tried this but
did ya try putting the radio from the house in the car.also turn off the main breaker
and just temporary run radio off car battery.if all this been disscussed im sorry
i actually lost track of everything ya done ....lol

i tried something someone suggested i took my radio outside and hooked it up to the antenna using a jumper and the noise was still there.. hotrod i just tried turning the main off to the house and the noise was there still.. i was wondering if i could go get a cheap trucker antenna and plug my coax into to see if its my antenna would that work?

If you've removed the coax from the radio and the noise is still there, I think you've pretty well ruled out the antenna as the problem. I'm afraid it's something to do with either the radio, or something inside your house -near- that radio that's the noise maker.
Antennas just don't produce noise, or anything else for that matter. They are just the 'window' that RF 'sunlight' gets in through. They don't make any of that RF 'sunlight' , they just let it in so the radio can see it. A fault with an antenna usually means it either lets something 'through' or it doesn't, or maybe just lets a little bit through (tinted windows?).
So, what are some of the other possibilities? The radio is probably the most likely from what you've described. Not a very happy thought, but that's what things point toward.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

sorry i meant to put that when i unplugged the radio that the noise was gone..no i didn't put the connectors on thats the way i got the coax.i will unhook the ground wires tomorrow and see if that takes care of the noise..no i do not have a plasma tv.. i appreciate all the help guys!!

If you've removed the coax from the radio and the noise is still there, I think you've pretty well ruled out the antenna as the problem. I'm afraid it's something to do with either the radio, or something inside your house -near- that radio that's the noise maker.
Antennas just don't produce noise, or anything else for that matter. They are just the 'window' that RF 'sunlight' gets in through. They don't make any of that RF 'sunlight' , they just let it in so the radio can see it. A fault with an antenna usually means it either lets something 'through' or it doesn't, or maybe just lets a little bit through (tinted windows?).
So, what are some of the other possibilities? The radio is probably the most likely from what you've described. Not a very happy thought, but that's what things point toward.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

sorry i meant to put that when i unplugged the radio from the coax the noise was gone.. i appreciate all the help guys!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.