• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

i have a imax 2000.. plz help.

I still call bullshit cause Rich is behind hills taller than his antenna [HUH? - NO HE ISN'T!! ...???] so your line of site theory is as such and seeing how vertical antennas have very low gain you have many holes to plug in this bucket.

Now if both of you had 7 element beams now that might sound more believable.

Don't know what I can say except, I guess you're a man who's used to A99 performance. :tongue:

if were talking cb meters its very possible . they are not at all accurate and can vary greatly from radio to radio . when i went from my home brew 1/4 wgp to the 5/8 i had folks reporting up to 4 1/2 more s-units signal strength improvement .

from what i understand a 1/4 wgp and a dipole have the same gain and a 5/8 wgp has a little less than 1 1/2 db of gain over the 1/4 wave . and (broken record) 1 s-unit of gain = 6 db . my 5/8 certianly didnt have 27 db of gain over the 1/4 wave , but it really showed me how innacurate s-meters can be .

we do the best we can with what we have and even though our cb radio s-meters cant give a truly accurate reading , they can give us an indicator of more or less signal . we just need to be aware that its numbers are more or less meaningless .

a lot of different reflections can come in and out of play at 90 miles affecting the strength of our signal at the other end too .

When you are considering performance at these distances you also have to take into consideration the radiation angle and how much (what percentage) of your signal is still at antenna level compared to the high angle of a lesser antenna design such as a 1/4 or 1/2 wave.
A 20dB difference is common between two different designs due to take-off angle.

'Heck far', I even saw a difference between the 5/8 I-10K and the .64 Penetrator at that distance.

I have no interest nor reason to BS anyone. When conditions are rolling into Northern Cal, call for Rich, World Radio-149 and ask him, he just may recall that test.

007 i wasnt at all implying that you were BS'ing folks .

i didnt realize the the TOA between a 1/4 wave and a 5/8 could be as high as 20 db . i just knew i wanted a low TOA . so mabe the guy that said 4 1/2 s-units wasnt so far off after all ?????

"After adding new LMP400 the I-10K kept up fairly well with the old 9913-fed Penetrator."

so your difference was caused by the old coax run , maybe water/moisture got in the 259 and caused some corrosion ?

ive read some big claims for the i10k , but not from jay . ive read post where folks say it out performed their 3 element beam . im sure there was something wrong with the beams assembly/tuning or its feedline or its install for that to happen though .

Never used an a99 but a lie is a lie is a lie and the I-10k lie continues through you.

This is ridiculous, you've evidently got a wild hair up your ass for me and I really don't care.
Believe what you choose, ignore the truth if you delight in doing so, but I've tried to be polite and now I'm done with you and your groundless disparaging remarks. :thumbdown:
Go find someone else to target, jerky.

007 i wasnt at all implying that you were BS'ing folks .

i didnt realize...

I had to go back and re-read my post where I quoted you. I apologize if it sounded like I was implying you were saying something you weren't, I was just throwing that out there mostly for 'Mack...', and was just kinda picking up where you left off.

That's also why I put almost no credibility in near-field testing of antennas, unless you want the best performer for a block down the street.

I have always preferred to get signal reports from as far away as possible (but as close together time-wise as possible due to possible atmospheric changes) so the TOA will come into play and the best antenna will shine.

No problem, except for those who just can't stand their favorite antenna to be one-upped, then they can get just plain nasty. ;)

"I have always preferred to get signal reports from as far away as possible"

i feel the same way . the purpose of a stronger signal is to talk further isnt it ? LOL .
i know some folks want to be the channel master and key on folks , but thats just ignorant to me . nothing wrong with playing with a few cb friends and doing a little playfill keying with and on each other . but ive herd folks that need to be the biggest radio to feed their ego , thats usually caused by feeling inferior in other aspects of their life though .

take care sir

i would like some suggestions about a good antenna buy. i kinda like the maco 5/8 or the sirio but im not to familer with either one. but from what i have been reading up on the maco is hard to tune. i just dont want to get something i cant use..i dont have a lot of money to spend so where could i get the best deal on one?

Last edited:
i would like some suggestions about a good antenna buy. i kinda like the maco 5/8 or the sirio but im not to familer with either one. but from what i have been reading up on the maco is hard to tune. i just dont want to get something i cant use..i dont have a lot of money to spend so where could i get the best deal on one?

I had 3 paragraphs almost ready to post yesterday afternoon but we had a momentary power fluctuation and POOF! it was gone. I got pissed and just walked away.

If you don't live in a real high wind area the Maco should do you well for the money, and in the near future you may be able to mod it for improved performance.

Another plus is the ground radial system which helps to create an umbrella of RF-free area beneath it, so it tends not to cause much TVI and such, especially in comparison to an A99.

...and the price is right!

Just set the radiator length to about 19' 9" from the point where the ring support meets the radiator.
I found the wire on the match to set around the middle of the ring when I tuned it for 27.365

That should get you in the ballpark.

Good luck and I hope to hear you in the DX!

"Another plus is the ground radial system which helps to create an umbrella of RF-free area beneath it, ..."
I'm afraid that's a mistaken assumption a lot of people make, about radials not radiating, they certainly do. Radials don't provide any 'shielding' or "an umbrella of RF-free area beneath it". For half the cycle of that (alternating current) RF signal, those radials are the "hot" side of the antenna. Anything connected to the feed line electrically can produce radiation, or affect how that radiation is radiated, it's pattern. In 'most' cases, that change in radiation pattern isn't a biggy, but in some other cases, it can be.
One reason the 'A99' get's a bad-rap for interference is because it uses a part of the feed line as a 'counterpoise', it's 'other half'. Any 'end fed' antenna does the same thing, the Imax antennas for instance. Those radials making up a 'groundplane' have no 'shielding' ability at all.
- 'Doc

"Another plus is the ground radial system which helps to create an umbrella of RF-free area beneath it, ..."
I'm afraid that's a mistaken assumption a lot of people make, about radials not radiating, they certainly do. Radials don't provide any 'shielding' or "an umbrella of RF-free area beneath it". For half the cycle of that (alternating current) RF signal, those radials are the "hot" side of the antenna. Anything connected to the feed line electrically can produce radiation, or affect how that radiation is radiated, it's pattern. In 'most' cases, that change in radiation pattern isn't a biggy, but in some other cases, it can be.
One reason the 'A99' get's a bad-rap for interference is because it uses a part of the feed line as a 'counterpoise', it's 'other half'. Any 'end fed' antenna does the same thing, the Imax antennas for instance. Those radials making up a 'groundplane' have no 'shielding' ability at all.
- 'Doc

Let's visit this concept.

Let's say the radials radiate, thus completing the rest of the wave not radiated by the 5/8 radiator, that would have to be 3/8 not 1/4 unless the other 1/8 is made up in the matching network.

OK, so let's say it is, and your radials radiate statement is true, then why do they not perform as a horizontal?

If they radiate and they are in the horizontal plane, it would stand to reason they would radiate horizontal energy and you'd have a horizontal as well as a vertical, but you don't, and they don't work well as a horizontal.

So why don't we get horizontal performance from the radiating radials? I have noticed with the Penetrator elevated radials I am able to hear a little better horizontally than other 5/8 I've had up, but it's still weak by comparison to the vertical performance.

And aside from that, the radials do help to decouple the coax from feed line radiation, thus creating a safe zone beneath the "Umbrella" of the radials which would otherwise be a nasty CF of TVI.

I had a Maco up and removed the radials to see what it kind of performance I'd get. No one saw much difference on their meter, and neither did I, but I sure started to get a ton of TVI and computer speaker interference.

Now, about the A99, what if one were to make a choke directly beneath the antenna connector so it couldn't radiate the feedline, would the A99 still work? What would it tune like, and how would that affect the TOA?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?