• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I saw co-phased antennas crossing 90 degree's!!

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So I was at Walmart today getting some antibiotics for whooping cough!!! So I had left my phone in the car. I walk out and what do I see? I see a truck with co-phased antennas on the top of the cab and they are not just crossing as the truck idels away. Nooooo that would not be funny enough the mid point along each vertical was swing perpendicular. 102" whips on 6 inch springs on what looked like angle iron welded to the cab. It was gray and a combination of rain and snow so it was hard to make out perfectly. It reminded me of video's of Giraffes fighting on Wild Kingdom back in the good old days before the internet. That was idling through the Walmart parking lot I hate to imagine what it looks like going down the road 25mph-75mps.....LOL Like two kids fighting with pool noodles! LOL

I freq. see the full size domestic 4x4 or Jeep with a 2-3 foot Firstick mounted on the rear bumper if it is a truck and the rear spare tire mount on the Jeeps. The stud mount is normally lose too so the antenna is never vertical because they drill the hole too large.

I usually do not take my phone with me inside Walmart because I always lose service they only recently opened up their wifi for general use. Subconsciously I probably do not take my phone into Walmart to keep myself from getting shot because I took photo's of someone and broke out in spontaneous laughter. Hard to act normal while framing a shot for the camera!

Us truckers; we do funny things. I often see old cab overs with dual antennas, mounted on the front top corners of the cab, at an angle nearly parallel to the ground, like the truck is a snorting bull, ready to charge.

Either that, or their at about 45 degrees. Then they look like bugs, with long antennas, lol.

So I was at Walmart today...I see a truck with co-phased antennas... keep myself from getting shot ...

I really just don't know what to say except:
nopics.gif

Us truckers; we do funny things. I often see old cab overs with dual antennas, mounted on the front top corners of the cab, at an angle nearly parallel to the ground, like the truck is a snorting bull, ready to charge.

Either that, or their at about 45 degrees. Then they look like bugs, with long antennas, lol.
For some of those drivers the antennas are angled because it looks cool.

Others do it on classic Pete's or KW's because the antenna is in the near-field of the exhaust stacks and can alter the tunings. I see grain wagons angle them nearly flat for clearance reasons at some of the older grain elevators.

Another reason for angled antennas, is so that the wind will push the antennas back to straight, when the truck is moving, as opposed to the wind pushing the antennas into a backwards angle.

But, as is often the case with useful modification, folks pick up on it without understanding it, and exaggerate it, then it just becomes another silly trend.

Another reason for angled antennas, is so that the wind will push the antennas back to straight, when the truck is moving, as opposed to the wind pushing the antennas into a backwards angle.

But, as is often the case with useful modification, folks pick up on it without understanding it, and exaggerate it, then it just becomes another silly trend.

I don't think a big-rig can go fast enough to generate enough wind to make a four foot fiberglass shaft antenna stand up straight.

Reactions: unit_399
It was explained to me that by the antenna's angeled forward, it somewhat reduces vertical noise and lowers local operators on the sides of the road.
I don't think it does d1ck.

Reactions: Needle Bender
.... Others do it on classic Pete's or KW's because the antenna is in the near-field of the exhaust stacks and can alter the tunings. ....

I've known guys who've had this problem.

.... But, as is often the case with useful modification, folks pick up on it without understanding it, and exaggerate it, then it just becomes another silly trend.

Agree 110%

Are there antenna height regulations for a mobile CB unit? I haven't been able to find any; and I have done some looking. I have found height limits for base stations (60 feet, or 20 feet if on a roof top), but nothing for a vehicle.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.