• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I saw co-phased antennas crossing 90 degree's!!

Are there antenna height regulations for a mobile CB unit? I haven't been able to find any; and I have done some looking. I have found height limits for base stations (60 feet, or 20 feet if on a roof top), but nothing for a vehicle.
Well yes, sort of. Commercial vehicles have height restrictions that very state to state. Any part of your vehicle or load has to comply. Any car hauler can verify this for you because those guy's tend to get measured often at weighstations.

If your antenna is over 13'6, see if you don't trip the height sensors next time you go thru the Eisenhower tunnel.

I've never even heard of that.
I do know a couple of people that thought about duct taping a fluorescent tube to their antenna until we talked them out of it.
They were around many years ago. They were sort of see thru with little lights in them and came in different colors. I'm not sure if they only came on during TX I just assumed they did.

They are still made today but have LED lights that require 12v power abd stay on continuously.

My cousin drives a big rig, and once (years ago now) we did some playing with antennas. He was told he should get longer antennas and angle them forward, that it would help his gain in front of him. He asked me about it and I wasn't sure, it sounded fishy to me so I said if he wants we can test them out. In addition to his 4 ft firestik antennas, he got two 5 ft firestik antennas.

With my field strength meter (on a tripod) we took a measurement of the existing 4 ft antennas and set that to the 3 mark, which was the middle mark of the 5 on the field strength meter. Then we installed and tuned the 5 ft antennas angled forward so their tips were about the same height as the 4 ft antennas. When checking for field strength, the difference was noticeable, with the field strength meter set to the middle mark using the vertical 4 foot antennas, the angled 5 foot antennas didn't even get to the 1 mark. Thinking we might have done something wrong we talked to a few people, and confirmed that the setup was working. We put the 4 ft antennas back on and set the mounts back to vertical and tested again, the field strength needle went very close to where it was initially.

Just to make sure, we again used the field strength meter, only this time we set it to the maximum listed mark (the 5 on this meter). When we swapped the 5 foot antennas back on and angled them forward again, it registered a little below the 2 mark.

Having two sets of tuned antennas, my cousin talked to several people before and after switching them back to the 4 ft vertical antennas, and everyone said that the 4 ft antennas had the stronger signal. My cousin chose the 4 ft antennas, and every time it has come up since I always recommend the longest antennas that can be mounted straight up from the existing mounting points.

The DB

Are there antenna height regulations for a mobile CB unit? I haven't been able to find any; and I have done some looking. I have found height limits for base stations (60 feet, or 20 feet if on a roof top), but nothing for a vehicle.

There are legal heights for motor vehicles without a special permit. IIRC the standard is 13'6"

Oooops I see this has already been addressed.

So I was at Walmart today getting some antibiotics for whooping cough!!! So I had left my phone in the car. I walk out and what do I see? I see a truck with co-phased antennas on the top of the cab and they are not just crossing as the truck idels away. Nooooo that would not be funny enough the mid point along each vertical was swing perpendicular. 102" whips on 6 inch springs on what looked like angle iron welded to the cab. It was gray and a combination of rain and snow so it was hard to make out perfectly. It reminded me of video's of Giraffes fighting on Wild Kingdom back in the good old days before the internet. That was idling through the Walmart parking lot I hate to imagine what it looks like going down the road 25mph-75mps.....LOL Like two kids fighting with pool noodles! LOL

I freq. see the full size domestic 4x4 or Jeep with a 2-3 foot Firstick mounted on the rear bumper if it is a truck and the rear spare tire mount on the Jeeps. The stud mount is normally lose too so the antenna is never vertical because they drill the hole too large.

I usually do not take my phone with me inside Walmart because I always lose service they only recently opened up their wifi for general use. Subconsciously I probably do not take my phone into Walmart to keep myself from getting shot because I took photo's of someone and broke out in spontaneous laughter. Hard to act normal while framing a shot for the camera!

Maybe he likes to shoot skip on the flat side..................LOL.

I didn't realize DOT was in the business of measuring antenna height. I did have my antenna mounted, at one point, so that it stuck up about a foot over trailer height. I ended up moving it, because the location still blocked too much signal.

I guess I'll refrain from mounting my 102" whip from my mirror bracket, lol.

I just recently saw a few lighted antennas for sale, at the Bosselmans on I80, in Nebraska. They were about 3' in length, and looked like they were supposed to be wired into your parking lights, at opposed to lighting up on transmit. But, I could be wrong. I like things that light up, so I was tempted to buy a couple, but I'm not about to put such a thing on my truck, and I didn't trust them to be effective, so I left them there.

I have also considered taping a fluorescent bulb to my antenna. However, it wouldn't stay there longer than 10 mins. Just long enough for me to watch it light up, nod and smile, say "Hey, cool!", and maybe show my wife, who will roll her eyes, shake her head, and be otherwise unimpressed. Then, the bulb would come right back off, lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.