• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I think I am doing something wrong.

w9cll

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
www.flickr.com
I read all the posts on here about which diode to replace or which mosfet's work in which radio, how much swing will I get if I do this or that. All I do is turn on the radio, let the tubes warm up and talk to people all over the world. There are no mods done to my radios, no extras hell not even an amp.. what am I doing wrong?

Please note this was done in jest....

Nothing wrong in what you are doing. I operate the same way with stock, barefoot radios and make contacts easily. I have amplifiers all over the place and have never keyed one in to an antenna.
My one extraneous allowance to additional technology is a DSP unit. It can clean up an area on a weak signal and it is not used all of the time.

A modification must provide value to me or it is not done. Some are worthwhile from a performance standpoint. For example, I modified my ALS-600 amplifier years ago to use a faster and much more quiet relay from AD5X. I also added the 10m kit. I had modified my FT-920 with kits from Inrad years back.

I've done mods on LMR gear to make them useful for amateur radio purposes.

Reactions: LeapFrog
You're doing everything right but I think you're comparing apples to oranges. My adding an IF tap kit to my FTDX- 1200 is slightly different than installing a super whack thunder blaster atomic swing kit (resistor and electrolytic cap) to a Cobra 29. Just sayin.

You're doing everything right but I think you're comparing apples to oranges. My adding an IF tap kit to my FTDX- 1200 is slightly different than installing a super whack thunder blaster atomic swing kit (resistor and electrolytic cap) to a Cobra 29. Just sayin.
No I get that, I have "added" filters and stuff as well. Where exactly can I get the super wackpack for my Yaesu?

Reactions: LeapFrog
6146B finals?
Same I use in my FT-102
Strap the resistors ( jump the part that opposes flow to electrons) used in the bias circuit, Key down quick talk fast so no one understand you, have to talk quick so the tubes do not turn red, Always finish with your call sign stating" You just got Down"

Reactions: Sonar
No I get that, I have "added" filters and stuff as well. Where exactly can I get the super wackpack for my Yaesu?

Right here. Even has a heavy metal intro with cig smoke later in. Oh don't forget those required blue LEDs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.