• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I think I am doing something wrong.

.... Now do that 2-3 times and you could have bought ....
I don't know if comparing the cost of buying two or three new exports to one HF rig is really a fair comparison, then when it turns to new exports vs a used HF rig you're not really proving anything. I have a couple real nice used 2970 DX's that I paid less than $250 each for, one with a sp1 tuned by Bobs CB and the other a like new N2. Both came with the boxes and all accessories.

HF rigs may be better rigs when price isn't a factor but when discussing value for your money you really have to compare similar condition radios (ie: new vs new).

The purchase of two or three export radios compared to one good HF rig is never going to be an easy thing for some one who has never owned one. Export radios can't compare as far as quality and function. Export radios 10, 11, and maybe 12 meters can not compare to excellent function for 160, 80, 60, 40, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, and 6 meters and even higher. You get five times the radio and adjustability you can't believe unless you see it in action. I have HF radios that I have bought for a couple hundred dollars and they work perfectly. Buy one good radio not three or four heavily modified lower quality radios done by some guy who probably burns his fingers by holding the wrong end of the soldering iron.

Why are you purchasing two or three exports if one radio is enough? I have a couple Yaesu 840's here, they are nice radios. I just don't think you really need that much on 11 meters, one decent export set up by a good tech is all you really need. In many cases even a type accepted CB will be fine.

.... done by some guy who probably burns his fingers by holding the wrong end of the soldering iron.
Will an HF rig still be better after this guy works on it? you're adding variables that really shouldn't be there in a fair comparison. How about we compare the value per dollar of an HF and an export in the same condition.

I'll give it a rest now because this isn't the section for discussing 11 meter gear.

Last edited:
Will an HF rig still be better after this guy works on it? you're adding variables that really shouldn't be there in a fair comparison. How about we compare the value per dollar of an HF and an export in the same condition.
The whole point of owning one of the HF radios is that you don't have to modify the crap out radio to get what you want. With the small exception adding 11 meters. For the Yaesu FT-857 it is as simple as bridging two or three points with solder. It's designed that way so it's not really a modifying the radio, just shifting the operational paradigm.

it's not really a modifying the radio, just shifting the operational paradigm.

I have to remember this logic if I ever get pulled over again. No officer I didn't really run the red light, I merely transported myself and my vehicle to the other side of the intersection by manipulating the surrounding space-time continuum.

Reactions: Tallman
I have to remember this logic if I ever get pulled over again. No officer I didn't really run the red light, I merely transported myself and my vehicle to the other side of the intersection by manipulating the surrounding space-time continuum.
That won't work. I tried it and still got the ticket.

6146B finals?
Same I use in my FT-102
Strap the resistors ( jump the part that opposes flow to electrons) used in the bias circuit, Key down quick talk fast so no one understand you, have to talk quick so the tubes do not turn red, Always finish with your call sign stating" You just got Down"
LMFAOOO!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated