• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-718 mounted mobile

binrat

WDX Club Coordinator
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
The Great White north
Has anyone done that?? I have a KX-3 and its just too nice to take the abuse of mobile to me. So, I was thinking of picking 1 up and mounting it as I have the room.

I've never owned the 718. However, I do know a few guys that have mounted the Elecraft KX3 mobile and it is working just fine with them. What type of abuse are you thinking of giving it?

I've never owned the 718. However, I do know a few guys that have mounted the Elecraft KX3 mobile and it is working just fine with them. What type of abuse are you thinking of giving it?
Dusty, dirty back road driving. Truth be told, I have not found a mount yet that I'm happy with for the KX3 and would like that extra power for mobile. I considered a Hard Rock 50 for the mobile but less wires running around the better in my books.

I have my 718 in the mobile now. Having a very hard time with what I thought was exhaust noise RFI. Grounded the exhaust and it helped a lot, but still have trouble. My Kenwood TS-430 noise blanker handled the same install without a hitch. So, I still have some grounding to do. I have an '07 F150. You may have better luck with your vehicle.

Brett

If you haven't picked up the Icom, I would consider the Kenwood TS 50. These seem to be built Ford tough and I do see them come up for sale pretty regularly.

If you want to mount the KX3 to a smooth surface (like glass), consider the SeaSucker mounts. They are made for mounting fairly large items in a marine environment and are VERY strong:

https://www.seasucker.com/

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.