• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 735 power switch tip

Walkin' the dog
Sep 12, 2009
Chilliwack, BC
www.youtube.com
I had my power switch go haywire and it made the lights dim on SSB and I even heard warble.
I thought, "oh shit vco crapping out" but after opening the radio to the "service" position, and testing, I noticed the lights, not dimming.
I felt the switch and noticed the pins were hot (dont try this on 120v or 240v) and wiggling the wire I seen that it was the switch that was dickin' me over.

After robbing a switch from a 23CH centurion parts radio and spending 4 hours swapping and trying to get it to fit, prying the old switch out of the frame, swapping the frame, cursing and waving my arms, I finally broke down and starting trying to reassemble the old switch, made even more difficult cause the white latch housing flew off.

Then it hit me...why not swap the ACS and the 13.8V positions on the switch?
AVS side is still good and I dont use a Icom supply so no big loss right?

So thats what I did and it works great, no dimming at all and stable!

I could buy a new switch and wait forever but I wanted to use the radio, and I didn't want to wait.

Some icoms have a 8A side and a 3A side.(so it might not work)
I think the 735 is dual 5A

For some reason the switch was failing again.
I suspect it was tarnished inside and heated up.
I got a new direct replacement for $3.00 off digikey.

Digi-Key Part Number EG1018-ND

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.