• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 746 Pro

murdog

May 25, 2008
Need some input ....above radio , power supply ( matching ) and desk mic matching . Radio just back from Icom
600.00 .??
Deal ? Normal price , walk the other way ? .
Thanks .

Good deal!! Grab it if you can. Make sure it's all operational before you buy. If all is working grab it. I have the 746 non pro and my local pal has a 746 pro. His does much more then my radio does. Many more options. Good luck with it and again, make sure you know for 110% the radio is working and functioning properly. Most likely is if it's just back from Icom.

Very nice rigs, and they have 2 meters, too! The only problem I know of with them is the display lights go out, and they are hard to repair. The display itself is fine.... you just have to put a light on it at night to see it.

For 600 bucks with the ps, that's a very good deal.

Brett

Buy it! If you don't want it let me know where to get it and I'll buy it.

P.S. I do mean that! It is a fine radio and I almost always scarf up radios, that my biggest down fall when it comes to my savings account.

Last edited:
746 pro with desk mic and psu!.Great radio at a bargain price.
But like said! Make sure it works 100%
Check power out on all bands and that the ATU tunes on all bands.
Mine has never missed a beat. I did the idle current mod and the pre driver mod and I keep the lights on high (helps to extend the life of the voltage regulator) And as well I dont leave the ATU on full Auto ( that stops the the radio auto tuning every time you move 20 kcs or so. and stops the atu working everytime you change bands.

Common faults.

Display lights. VR failure
Low tx out . driver module failure due to idle current set to high at factory
ATU fail to tunes on one or more bands, or just fails to tune. .. Relay failure. or Cap motor.
No tx output. pre driver chip failure( most likely heat related many ops fit a heat sink)
And of course the dreaded power lead voltage sag ,common to all Icoms
Those 5 faults account for nearly all the problems reported.

Do a search and make up your mind.I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to give you as much info as I can.

Still think they are a great rig.

Need some input ....above radio , power supply ( matching ) and desk mic matching . Radio just back from Icom
600.00 .??
Deal ? Normal price , walk the other way ? .
Thanks .
Thanks to all for their replies...I put a price in at 650.00 and was told I had it ( not the end of the storey ) someone beat me by 50.00 ...Oh well they still got a deal , radio had little use and just back from Icom but again a person must set a price and stick with it . Did not like the dealings much but that`s just life .
Again thanks .

Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
If it was an eBay bid thing, hard to win that way. One may say one thing, but being you aren't having a face to face dealing it makes the seller less incline to have much if any bad or remorseful feelings for duping you that way. I mean it was only $50. Not cool at all. You'll find one. Even the non pro 746's are good radios IMO. Mine has been spot on since I have had it. It was just serviced by Icom when I bought it. Been almost 3 years ago or a little longer. Needless to say, if you wanted more out of one like mine, wouldn't be hard. Aftermarket gear is abundant. RX and TX EQ's and such. But anyways. Keep looking, you'll find one!! You won't be disappointed with it I'll say that. For being a kind of older radio, they do a good job.
Good luck and hope you find one you truly like!! Have a great day to All!!
73 and God Bless.

If it was an eBay bid thing, hard to win that way. One may say one thing, but being you aren't having a face to face dealing it makes the seller less incline to have much if any bad or remorseful feelings for duping you that way. I mean it was only $50. Not cool at all. You'll find one. Even the non pro 746's are good radios IMO. Mine has been spot on since I have had it. It was just serviced by Icom when I bought it. Been almost 3 years ago or a little longer. Needless to say, if you wanted more out of one like mine, wouldn't be hard. Aftermarket gear is abundant. RX and TX EQ's and such. But anyways. Keep looking, you'll find one!! You won't be disappointed with it I'll say that. For being a kind of older radio, they do a good job.
Good luck and hope you find one you truly like!! Have a great day to All!!
73 and God Bless.
All good local Ham older guy selling out heading into care what is a person going or do .

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated