• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-2730 Review

How do you all connect your hand microphone?

I ended up rerouting the cabling to my center console so it's closer to me, and can be disconnected and tucked away when not in use.

hTphJLq.jpg

fyHpblr.jpg

HL0fXhh.jpg

jOt0CXH.jpg

5v8nzVA.jpg

8S2S0nj.jpg

BRwgyZ6.jpg

I'm planning on doing the same, using a similar part to what you did.
712ZKdff1yL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Moleculo
Matt that cat5 connector is great . I'll look for one and do something like that.
Right now the body of the radio is under the pass seat with a short cat 5 lead to a cat5 coupler to mic.
1. head next to dash
upload_2015-3-18_4-9-57.png

2. radio under seat
upload_2015-3-18_4-11-22.png

3. mic cable
upload_2015-3-18_4-12-53.png

@XMon, I almost went with that same one, but decided on the round one instead. My only reason was that it would have been easier to cut a circle in plastic, as apposed to a square. I'm better at cutting metal than plastic. But looking back at that plug, you could still cut a circle and slide the square in it, as long as the circle's edge is larger than the square's corners. I may still end up getting one and trying it.

@Fuzzybr, Is your radio mounted under the seat, or just sitting there? I wanted to mount mine under there but, I already have an amplifier under each seat. I ended up putting mine behind the glove box. Because the microphone cable is so stiff, I'm a bit paranoid about plugging the microphone into the faceplate. Even though it's mounted, it seems like the pull distance would rip it out.

I have not seen it mentioned in as many words anywhere, but I am making the assumption that the 2730 does not use touch screen technology. From past experience in the industrial maintenance world, I found resistive (soft faced not glass as used on cell phones) to be less than highly reliable. One less thing to go wrong down the line.
Also does it seem probable that the Android interface with Bluetooth will happen?

I have not seen it mentioned in as many words anywhere, but I am making the assumption that the 2730 does not use touch screen technology. From past experience in the industrial maintenance world, I found resistive (soft faced not glass as used on cell phones) to be less than highly reliable. One less thing to go wrong down the line.
Also does it seem probable that the Android interface with Bluetooth will happen?

Correct, it is not a touch screen. I doubt the android bluetooth interface will ever be supported - Icom is focusing that technology on their D-Star radios.

Correct, it is not a touch screen. I doubt the android bluetooth interface will ever be supported - Icom is focusing that technology on their D-Star radios.

I bought one and it looks very good. Is it OK to use a RJ25 extension cable to attach the control to the body or is it best to buy ICOM's extension cable? I see CAT5 being used for mike extension in above posts.

Last edited:
I bought one and it looks very good. Is it OK to use a RJ25 extension cable to attach the control to the body or is it best to buy ICOM's extension cable? I see CAT5 being used for mike extension in above posts.

Just reread your post about connecting the control to the body, not about the microphone.

I don't have the cable near me but, if I recall correctly, the connection between the control and the body may be an RJ11, which has 4 pins.

---------- old post ----------

To ensure a proper fit and proper connection, I suggest using a straight through patch cable with male RJ45 connectors on either end.

An RJ45 has 8 pins, where an RJ25 only has 6. You may cause damage by not going with the correct connection.

To extend the length of the microphone, I used a straight through coupler that could be mounted, and Cat5e, since I had it readily available. The connection went from the microphone, to curly microphone cable, to coupler, to patch cable, to radio.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt,
I just looked at the cable for the head to body connection and mine is a six pin modular with wires landed on all contacts. I did a quick measurement of the modular connector and it matches up with RJ25. To rephrase a bit will the flat silver colored phone type cables work or do I need to use ICOM's fairly expensive extension cable and plug adapter due to possible shielding or other issues? I don't mind paying the extra if the cheaper cable is going to cause issues of some sort but do prefer the idea of no extra connectors and possible contact problems at the splice connector in the future.

Thanks Matt,
I just looked at the cable for the head to body connection and mine is a six pin modular with wires landed on all contacts. I did a quick measurement of the modular connector and it matches up with RJ25. To rephrase a bit will the flat silver colored phone type cables work or do I need to use ICOM's fairly expensive extension cable and plug adapter due to possible shielding or other issues? I don't mind paying the extra if the cheaper cable is going to cause issues of some sort but do prefer the idea of no extra connectors and possible contact problems at the splice connector in the future.

BettysNewphew, thank you for double checking. I apologize for the incorrect information.

As for using ICOM's extension cable versus using a standard Cat5 cable with RJ25 connectors, someone else may have to chime in.

I chose to plug my microphone into the body itself, rather than go through the head, so to me a standard cable for extending the head from the body would be fine. I'm not sure if that would cause any obvious issues, though.

Whatever the cost of the ICOM cable, though, you could definitely get Cat5 shielded twisted pair and a couple of RJ25 connectors for less.

Hello,
I'm taking my HAM test this Saturday and am think of buying the IC-2730a as my first mobile rig. I plan to mount the main unit under the seat of my truck but there not much clearance there. Can someone tell me the height of the IC-2730 with the MFB-4 mounting bracket installed.

Thank you

That was quick, thanks.
I only have 2 " of space under the truck seat. Can the main unit be mount to the carpet floor or would ventilation holes be covered? Or would it be best to re-drill the bracket to have 1/4" clearance top and bottom?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated