• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If you are interested in Optima batteries.....

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
Ebay pricing is absolutely insane! Look at the Jegs price vs Remy battery for the same battery!
I bought the Yellow top for $159 plus $20 shipping. Ebay retailers are the best! :laugh:
Since the last time a lead/acid battery overflowed acid all over a Dodge Dakota frame and ate part of it up, I have owned nothing but Optimas because they don't leak or corrode the terminals.

Optima Battery - Remy Battery

Optima Batteries 9042-218 YellowTop Deep-Cycle Battery JEGS | eBay

I would never buy a Optima battery in my life or any gel cell type! I had 3 Optima and two Orbital die on me in 3 years.

AGM deep cycles are the only way to go, I have 2 cheap AGM battery's in my Dodge diesel for 8 years now still starts great on the 20deg mornings! Best of all they dont leak!

Good luck on a warrenty issue "when" that sucker goes bad with Fleebay retailers or any mail order item...

Pay about the same with your local retailer. And you know you will have a replaced item same day... and not have to pay a bunch of shipping back and forth...

I would never buy a Optima battery in my life or any gel cell type! I had 3 Optima and two Orbital die on me in 3 years.

AGM deep cycles are the only way to go, I have 2 cheap AGM battery's in my Dodge diesel for 8 years now still starts great on the 20deg mornings! Best of all they dont leak!

I have been fortunate enough to sometimes find very large AGM's at work, and run my toyota off 2 of them, just off one of them, 215ahr I can talk on my 2 meter rig, 80watts every night for an hour for almost a week. I also ran my laptop just to see how long it go, off a 300w inverter, just running with screen ON, for 10 days.

I see lots of these at the local metal recyclers, I bet they would have no problem selling you a couple of these for not much more than scrap, and if they dont work, just take em back and get most of your money back.

Red and yellowtop on the other hand, redtop dies, as in deceased if you run it all the way down, usually the first time, toss it, its gone.

Yellowtop, you can run it down three or four times before it kills it.
The last yellowtop I had however just went bad, I think it shorted internally as it only put out 8volts after charging overnight.

For every case like yours, there are 99 that are quite the opposite. BTW Optimas are AGM batteries.

Last edited:
I have been fortunate enough to sometimes find very large AGM's at work, and run my toyota off 2 of them, just off one of them, 215ahr I can talk on my 2 meter rig, 80watts every night for an hour for almost a week. I also ran my laptop just to see how long it go, off a 300w inverter, just running with screen ON, for 10 days.

I see lots of these at the local metal recyclers, I bet they would have no problem selling you a couple of these for not much more than scrap, and if they dont work, just take em back and get most of your money back.

Red and yellowtop on the other hand, redtop dies, as in deceased if you run it all the way down, usually the first time, toss it, its gone.

Yellowtop, you can run it down three or four times before it kills it.
The last yellowtop I had however just went bad, I think it shorted internally as it only put out 8volts after charging overnight.

I use 2 Optima D31s for my trolling motors......12 years and still going strong. They are routinely fully discharged.
The redtops are not deep cycle batteries.

Good luck on a warrenty issue "when" that sucker goes bad with Fleebay retailers or any mail order item...

Pay about the same with your local retailer. And you know you will have a replaced item same day... and not have to pay a bunch of shipping back and forth...

If you were to contact Optima, they will tell you to bring the battery to the nearest Optima dealer and they will handle the warranty claim.
If you buy a new Chevy and it needs warranty work........you may be surprised to know that any Chevy dealership will cover the warranty.

If you were to contact Optima, they will tell you to bring the battery to the nearest Optima dealer and they will handle the warranty claim.
If you buy a new Chevy and it needs warranty work........you may be surprised to know that any Chevy dealership will cover the warranty.

Yes indeed a Chevy dealer will honor that warranty....

try and take that Fleebay battery to a autozone/Oreilly or Advanced auto parts store that sells Optima's and they will tell you to take a hike.... You would have to find a distributor/warehouse...

It would be like taking that Chevy to a Ford dealer for warranty work, Unless that vehicle was bought at that dealer (used with warranty) they also will tell you take a hike.......................................

Yes indeed a Chevy dealer will honor that warranty....

try and take that Fleebay battery to a autozone/Oreilly or Advanced auto parts store that sells Optima's and they will tell you to take a hike.... You would have to find a distributor/warehouse...

It would be like taking that Chevy to a Ford dealer for warranty work, Unless that vehicle was bought at that dealer (used with warranty) they also will tell you take a hike.......................................

The only person I know who had one go bad........ had an alternator voltage regulator go bad and he was charging it with 17 volts until it bit the dust. Good thing it was a 1985 F150 without all the electronics.

I have a Optima Red which I installed in my ( 4 runner over 100,000 miles ago and 9 years. I've run my 4 pill off it as well as the car for almost all those years.. Still working.

Been usein optima's for years. Never had to replace one or even have one go bad. Maybe I'm just lucky, that being said I will continue to use them.

Been usein optima's for years. Never had to replace one or even have one go bad. Maybe I'm just lucky, that being said I will continue to use them.

I have never had an issue with a lead acid battery so I can't see the bfd with a jell spiral cell.

My first Optima was great, it was used when I got it, and lasted another 7 years. I have bought two others (one Red and one Yellow) and they haven't lasted 2 years 11 months and 29 days. The warranty has changed, too. It used to be longer than 3 years.

A traditional lead acid, not only is less than 1/2 the price, but is warrantied for 8 years.

Optima has gotten too much of my money. They won't get any more.

Shame on them for lowering their standards and warranty!

i swiched back to a lead acisd megatron-plus and now my amp puts out over 100w more then it did on the yellow top. no more optimas for me. plus a local retailer that carries optima told me he isnt impresed with there newer batteries. he thinks they arent as good as they used to be. yes you have to use a good bnattery box if your runing a wet cell in the car and make sure its ventilated to the outside ait so it wont build up hydragen gas in the car

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.