• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IMAX 2000 Ground Plane Kit...

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
I just picked up a ground plane kit for my IMAX 2000 today that I bought used from a local operator. He is a new member to this forum. His name is Brian 264 and is also a member of The World Radio Club -"WR-264".

The kit is rather straightforward. Four fiberglass radials at/about 70 inches in length. They bolt to a 1/16 inch angle plate that also bolts to the IMAX mount. The angle of the radials appear to be about 35 degrees downward - that is a guesstimate. The whole thing couldn't weigh more than a pound or two - it's real light. The mount itself is flash chromed. Which is coming off in large sheets and the shards are razor sharp. I'll probably wire brush the daylights out of it to remove all loose chrome, and then spray it with some silver or aluminum paint - so it won't rust. But otherwise it is in decent shape.

I will install it on my IMAX and re-tune the SWR on the antenna before the Gizmotchy Beam review that is coming up soon...maybe by this weekend if everything goes as planned...the Gizmotchy beam should be here tomorrow - I'll post pics...
http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-...467-gizmotchy-beam-antenna-coming-review.html

Here is a drawing of the IMAX ground plane kit. The radials are much longer in real life as compared to this drawing.

Attachments

• i1003491.jpg
    i1003491.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 276

BTW - Is there a easy means to get a hold of some conductive grease?
I want to get something that will keep parts from rusting but not interfere with electrical continuity.
Or will I have to go to a specialty store for what I need?
Any particular brand name(s)?

lowes carries NOALOX . thats where i got mine from .
its also a good lubricant for grocery cart wheels ;) .

i'm hearing that some ops are replacing the (short, 70 inch) radials with 1/4 wave ss whips with good results.

NOALOX is good stuff (y). i always use it on any metal fasteners

I never installed the GPK. Going to put the Imax on top of the 4 element beam instead. Gonna keep the GPK and sell it with the Imax if/when I decide to sell it. But for now, I use it for mostly local talk.

Robb the beam will make a better radial system anyway. But for that much effort and so you don't have to redo it sooner than you would like, why not order a new Penetrator, leave off the radials and use it up through the beam instead?
You know those imax eventually have swr problems due to water ingress, and I'll bet you could sell it locally especially with a radial kit and offset the cost of the P500.
Just sayin':)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.