• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Impressions of the Icom IC-7000 DSP

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I'm interested in hearing from other owners of the Icom IC-7000 on their overall impression of the effectiveness of the DSP function built into this radio. I'm interested in hearing your opinion when used in both a mobile and fixed environment. After having the radio for a few months, here's my subjective take:

Twin Pass Band Tuning - It works like a charm. I was hesitant about how well it could be used by mobile, but it works great. It's just as effective as my Icom 746 Pro

Filter widths and Shapes - Works as advertised. Just hold the filter button in, adjust the width and set the shape desired (sharp or soft) and you're done.

Noise Blanker - I think this works better than my IC-706MKIIG did. It might be the best noise blanker in an HF mobile rig that I've used

Automatic Notch Filter - Works about as good as any ANF I've used. It does not attenuate the speaker volume nearly as much as the 706 did. I presume this is attributed to IF versus AF DSP.

Two Point Manual Notch Filter - I love this feature. The 706 ONLY had ANF, which just doesn't cut it sometimes. With this, you can notch out two signals and also set the notch filter width. Brilliant in a mobile

SSB Transmit Bandwidth - Running the TX bandwidth through the DSP like Icom's bigger radios do lets you adjust it without having to buy filters. Nice touch.

AGC control - According to ICOM, the AGC loop is controlled by the DSP to help prevent blocking and AGC pumping. It definitely is an improvement over the 706MKIIG where anything but the slowest setting while mobile was a nightmare to listen to.

Digital Noise Reduction - I saved this one for last on purpose. Despite all of the other DSP control functions working great, the NR doesn't seem that great to me. It is adjustable from values of 0-15, with 4 being the default. To me, anything more than about 6 starts to distort audio signals and and by the time you get to 10, they are very choppy and badly distorted. NR in a mobile is one of the most valuable features for me, and I was hoping this would be better. However, I found an absolute killer combination that really makes copying weak and moderate signals a joy. I set the Icom 7000 NR DSP to about 5 (which does help) and then turn on the Clearspeech AF DSP filter to clean it up even more. The DSP speaker does attenuate the audio a little, but it's not bad because it's not having to do much work in conjunction with the Icom IF DSP. I think I'll make an audio recording to show how well this works. Reglardless, does anyone else think that the NR in a mobile environment (a challenging environment, I know) with this radio isn't all that great?

Let's hear your thoughts.

ICOM 7000 Reviews?

Just like running my ICOM 756 PROII or ICOM 746 PRO only in my pickup truck.This is the "TOP DAWG" of ANY mobile rig EVER made.Check out the feedback page on eham & see what they say! (y)

SIX-SHOOTER

I use mine strictly base, I agree with you on all the comments you made about the radio. I plan on keeping mine and adding a 756 pro 3 as soon as I get the funds and find a mint later production radio.

AP

I have that mic mod as well. If there is interest, I'll do a complete write up on this rig like I have others. If I did that, I would really like it if some you other guys that own this rig would contribute your opinions and thoughts, too. Whaddya think?

I have one I use as a base here at the house, I like the small format as I dont have much room for my Ham Gear.

It just spent the last month at Icom Repair in Michigan for a dead CI-V port. It is now working 100% and I am very happy to have it back. I would be willing to put my 2 cents worth into your review, of course it might only be worth 1.5 cents :D

My only experience with the IC-7000 was using one on Field Day. I'd have to agree with you that the 'best' way to run mobile is to keep the rig's ANF or DNR setting about half way, and then 'clean it up' with an external audio DSP filter. That's what I use for the IC-706MKIIG mobile and it works like a charm.

The IC7000 however, is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the 706, & I was happy to learn that the NB is effective for mobile.

The IC-7000 is one of my 'Dream' radios.... SOMEDAY (y)

I have that mic mod as well. If there is interest, I'll do a complete write up on this rig like I have others. If I did that, I would really like it if some you other guys that own this rig would contribute your opinions and thoughts, too. Whaddya think?

Yes do it, I would like to see a good review on the 7K and would contribute my .01 cent. I like your reviews moleculo.

Did you hook your 7K to your computer monitor? that is a real nice feature I think. The simple band scope feature is nice to have also. I use it often to find stations on the bands.

AP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.