• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Initial Ham Setup

Well, .....when I followed the link to the E-Bay end fed antenna, and the site ad said no ground/counterpoise was needed, ....I moved on.

so should you.

your better off building your own.
there are lots of websites to show you how. just google building dipoles.
i build all my own dipoles.

Reactions: Riverman
That's a good antenna for your worked all neighbors, worked all TV's, and worked all toasters awards!
I like that feature of the antenna! Noisy stereos at three A.M. don't stay on long when I key up and start calling CQ.
Well, .....when I followed the link to the E-Bay end fed antenna, and the site ad said no ground/counterpoise was needed, ....I moved on.
so should you.
You do need a counter poise. I used a 8ft long grounding rod and connected it to the matching box. You don't need radials.

Reactions: CB590
After much consideration, I've decided to go with:

Yaesu FT-450D
Mega Watt S-350-12 power supply

And a couple of dipoles (6M &10M) to get me “on the air” as a Tech.
Once I pass my General, I’ll look for a good multi-band.

I know the current solar cycle is in the dumpster, but I’m excited anyway. After all, there are worse things in life than limited radio contacts.

A happy and meaningful Memorial Day to you all!

Jim
Good choices! Have fun with Tech... and get General soon. 6 has been crazy lately, and 10 hasn't been bad, either. Best of luck!

Brett

Thanks for all the study advice, everyone. I feel really good about it now.

Have decided to bite the bullet, spend the extra $260, and get the Yaesu FTDX-1200 rather than the 450D. Looks like a lot of radio for the money. Think I'll be happier in the long run.

Thanks for all the study advice, everyone. I feel really good about it now.

Have decided to bite the bullet, spend the extra $260, and get the Yaesu FTDX-1200 rather than the 450D. Looks like a lot of radio for the money. Think I'll be happier in the long run.

I've had the 1200 for a couple of years. No complaints.

I have the 3000, and absolutely love it. What I like about the 1200 and 3000 is they are full size base rigs. The 450 is great for the money, but a little small for me. I think you will like the 1200!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.