• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Initial Ham Setup

to each their own. i have the 450d and the kenwood ts2000.
both great rigs. my next rig will be the 1200

Anything new? Still settled on the 1200?

Don't know, 338. Am facing the same dilemma most new hams do. "How much do I spend?"

Am leaning back toward entry level, but truth is I really don't like the look of the Yaesu 450D so am considering the Icom 718. It can be had at most places for only $625 (with the DSP module installed).

However, the 1200 keeps lurking. o_O

Icom 718:eek:....I don't agree with that choice....That rig is a step DOWN from the 450 IMHO...The Yaesu 1200 is a fine radio...I owned a 450 also ...liked it...was going to use it mobile and did for a spell....then fell into a NIB IC-7000 for the right price...
All the Best
Gary

PS: I run the the Big brother to the FT-1200....the FTdx3000D...very nice...also have an FT-950( precursor to the 1200) 12 years old and counting...still like that one also.
73/Gary

The 1200 I have is a nice rig but a few months after I bought it I started seeing sales on the 3000 which I originally wanted. I had some buyers remorse, so don't do something you'll regret.

Looking at the options, the 1200 looks horrible compared to the icom 7300. If looking in that price range, it seems to me that the 7300 can't be beat. As for me.... I'm working on a good deal on an ic 740. I'm cheap and vintage I suppose?

Looking at the options, the 1200 looks horrible compared to the icom 7300. If looking in that price range, it seems to me that the 7300 can't be beat. As for me.... I'm working on a good deal on an ic 740. I'm cheap and vintage I suppose?

Yes and the IC-7300 is selling for $300 more than the FT-1200....
For the same money as the IC-7300...You can have the FT-991A and have ALL Bands All Modes from 160 thru 440...
I talked to an Op most mornings on 75m...He has both rigs...7300 and 991A...Both are fine radios for same money....Guess which one he is using the Yaesu...Audio wise I can not tell one from the other...So which way does that tip the scale?
All the Best
Gary

PS: Watch out for that IC-740...for Possible Display Issues...Plus some early versions did not have WARC bands enabled and did not have General Coverage RX...(that means NO MARS MOD:LOL:)
I think the Finals are no longer in production...so be careful...
All the Best 73

Last edited:
Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Yes and the IC-7300 is selling for $300 more than the FT-1200....
For the same money as the IC-7300...You can have the FT-991A and have ALL Bands All Modes from 160 thru 440...
I talked to an Op most mornings on 75m...He has both rigs...7300 and 991A...Both are fine radios for same money....Guess which one he is using the Yaesu...Audio wise I can not tell one from the other...So which way does that tip the scale?
All the Best
Gary

PS: Watch out for that IC-740...for Possible Display Issues...Plus some early versions did not have WARC bands enabled and did not have General Coverage RX...(that means NO MARS MOD:LOL:)
I think the Finals are no longer in production...so be careful...
All the Best 73
What do cables cost to connect the yaesu to a pc? Can the 991 receive while displaying a waterfall? There were a few other things too, but I'm kinda slow.

As far as the 740, every cheap radio has it's faults. I have invested way too much money in hobbies I didn't pursue. I am a gambling man that the 740 will last long enough for me to know if I want more or not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.