• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Initial Ham Setup

If you can squeeze about 40 feet of wire under your eave use two plant hangers to hold it away from your house, use with insulators you can hang an end fed antenna up there and get down 80 meters up to 10 meters with it. Cost is about $45 with a 9:1 unun. It uses the coax as counterpoise. does the radio you ordered have a built-in antenna tuner?

Mine works great for me.

Reactions: 2RT307
If you can squeeze about 40 feet of wire under your eave use two plant hangers to hold it away from your house, use with insulators you can hang an end fed antenna up there and get down 80 meters up to 10 meters with it. Cost is about $45 with a 9:1 unun. It uses the coax as counterpoise. does the radio you ordered have a built-in antenna tuner?

Mine works great for me.

The Icom 7100 has no built in tuner. And I have aluminum gutters around the eaves of my entire house that mess with any antennas in close proximity.

Just how big is your back yard?? If it was me setting up in the backyard and I had the space, I would at least have a 16' painter pole as the high point and 2 x 12' for the ends of a temp setup dipole for 20 metres. Height is might but it doesn't have to be all the time.
I had 8 contacts across the US last Friday on 20 metres with 10 watts, a dipole and my avi probe as the high point...... on a small hill about 7250'

Have thought about a painters pole but think I want more than a single band and don't want multiple wires strung in my back yard. And a multiband antenna will need a tuner. Guess that would be cheaper than an Alexloop. (n)
But not as stealthy. That's another reason I went the attic route.

well if your porch area has a wooden deck railing you may be able to incorporate some sort of wire antenna on that to get you some bands.I was just thinking out loud on something that might be better off permanent

:eek:
well if your porch area has a wooden deck railing you may be able to incorporate some sort of wire antenna on that to get you some bands.I was just thinking out loud on something that might be better off permanent

Thanks for the help, K3. Patio has aluminum gutters overhead. Have hung a dipole between the brick columns before but had high SWR until I moved it nearly four feet below them. But then it was only six feet above ground and would strangle you if you forgot it was there at night. :eek: Will probably set the loop up out in the yard

I bought used equipment to get started. Although my radio has an internal tuner, the external tuner I purchased is well worth having if you can swing it. Getting a single wire multiband antenna up will increase your pleasure manifold over single band operation. By comparison to the 11 meters SSB I primarily worked before I was licensed, any one of the ham bands will seem quiet at given times. Being able to find and tune up an active band makes it worth the effort and extra cash I spent buying into it.
Do as well as you can and enjoy it.

Reactions: Riverman
Perhaps the gutters can be used as a part of the antennas. Maybe use a balun/tuner to feed one as an end fed or tie the ends together with wires and make a loop out of them?

I tried using them as a shortwave antenna once and reception wasn't as good as with the short aerial on the radio. o_O I don't think there is a good electrical connection betweem the sections.

CONFESSIONS OF A DRUGSTORE HAM

Down here in Texas we have a saying, "You can put on that ten-gallon hat, fancy western shirt, jeans and Tony Lama boots but that don't make you a cowboy."
Back in the day, the term commonly used was "drugstore cowboy."

Well, truth be told, I just don't like wires and antennas attached to the outside of my home. Heck, I wouldn't even put up an A-99 for my CB's. Instead, I used a dipole made from two 4' Firestik mobile antennas on a piddly 15' mast. And didn't really like it being there. So, since the attic thing didn't work out, I am going to order an Alexloop, spend the occasional morning or afternoon in my back yard with it and take it on vacations.

I chose it because of the overwhelming great reviews on eHam. Yes, I know the reviewers there have been referred to as "idiots" on this website, but I don't view them as such. Rather, I think they are good people, some more knowledgeable that others, just sharing their experiences and honest opinions.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on antennas. I am truly grateful. Will definitely share my experiences with the Alexloop. Good or bad.

Happy Fourth of July, everybody! Be safe!

Jim

Got the Alexloop (from Ham Radio Outlet) and have posted some thoughts and pics on the Alexloop thread (pages 3 and 4). It covers 10-40 meters so kept my 6 meter dipole.

Am averaging 95% on my Technician practice tests and have begun studying for the General. I plan to follow the recommendation of taking both tests the same day although right now I am getting a little overwhelmed with all the formulas and calculations. o_O

Am really enjoying my Icom 7100. Don't worry, just listening not transmitting. The touch screen makes changing bands and modes super quick and simple, great noise reduction, cool spectrum scope, nice speaker/sound.
Really love the display's 45 degree viewing angle.

Well, back to those formulas. :(

Reactions: 2RT307 and binrat
Got the Alexloop (from Ham Radio Outlet) and have posted some thoughts and pics on the Alexloop thread (pages 3 and 4). It covers 10-40 meters so kept my 6 meter dipole.

Am averaging 95% on my Technician practice tests and have begun studying for the General. I plan to follow the recommendation of taking both tests the same day although right now I am getting a little overwhelmed with all the formulas and calculations. o_O

Am really enjoying my Icom 7100. Don't worry, just listening not transmitting. The touch screen makes changing bands and modes super quick and simple, great noise reduction, cool spectrum scope, nice speaker/sound.
Really love the display's 45 degree viewing angle.

Well, back to those formulas. :(
Keep studying, and remember that there are only so many questions in each category. If you are weak in that area, and strong in others, you should do just fine. You have a cool setup, and if you're like me, will LOVE getting your General ticket.

Brett

Reactions: HomerBB
Keep studying, and remember that there are only so many questions in each category. If you are weak in that area, and strong in others, you should do just fine. You have a cool setup, and if you're like me, will LOVE getting your General ticket.

Brett

Thanks, Brett. That's good advice.
And thanks for the compliment. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.