• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is a Magnum 257HP an overkill for a Texas Star 667V?

Aren't the Midnight Special amps made by XForce? Aren't they also a Class B biased amp? Think I would stick with an AB Class amp; that 257HP radio's amp is already a Class AB too. Sure I'd stick with the Texas Star 500 amp - and forget about the rest of those other 3rd rate noise boxes . . .

Yep, they are produced by X-Force.

My 2x4 X-Force base box was also "biased" class "B", but I redid the biasing to class AB. Theoretically, that Midnight Special would work fine if the transistors are re-biased properly.

However, if you want a plug 'n' play amp, go with a Texas Star 500 4-button. Can't go wrong there. You would have to "detune" the Magnum a little bit on both AM and SSB modes, or you can cook the transistors with the excessive PEP wattage.

~Cheers~

Aren't the Midnight Special amps made by XForce? Aren't they also a Class B biased amp? Think I would stick with an AB Class amp; that 257HP radio's amp is already a Class AB too. Sure I'd stick with the Texas Star 500 amp - and forget about the rest of those other 3rd rate noise boxes . . .

Last I checked the Midnight Special line was all class C. X-Force does not make an AB amplifier, wish they did.

Getting back on this subject, I found a TNT 600 HD amp for sale that has four 2879's in it. Would this be a good amp for my 257HP for both AM and SSB modes?

Getting back on this subject, I found a TNT 600 HD amp for sale that has four 2879's in it. Would this be a good amp for my 257HP for both AM and SSB modes?

Yes outstanding. A local here ran an S45HP into one in his Ford truck and it rocked. Just make sure your install is top notch, proper grounds, fuse, #4 wire, and a good alternator. That amp can pull 60-80 amps or more depending on the drive.

Reactions: 1 person
Thought I'd ask. I'm wanting to get an amp for my 257HP. I see the 667V is a 500/650 watt amp. But isn't the knob on the front so you can adjust the sensitivity of the input power?

Or would my 257HP be too much for a 667V?

You would be better off just using this to drive it and get it over with quicker.

005.jpg

With that amp 10 watts key from the radio will get you 150-200 watts out. and peak you will be in the 500-600 watt range. That amp would be perfect for the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated