• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is CB radio suffering from the loudness wars?

Believe it or not I still have the IMAX 2000 w/GPK still new in the box.. I also have a brand new MAci 103c brand new in the box.. I was actually going to put up the beam in the first place, but I decided that my pipe system for the beam and rotor was not going to work, so then I bought the IMAX 2000, but after reading about the colossal and talking with a few friends of mine, they said to go with the zerofive.. I also read a test someone did with the imax 2000 vs a zerofive, not sure where I read it but the zerofive was better by 2 s units both RX and TX.. I am so glad I went with the colossal, it really is a great antenna.
If it indeed gives 2 s-units gain it's definitely worth the price.
I've a feeling those numbers might open a can of worms from those antenna savant's.
I'm looking forward to hearing what those in the know have to say. If those numbers are true and I was able to have my antenna at the proper 33 feet I myself would purchase a zero five in a heart beat.
2 s-unit gain from any vertical Omni directional is impressive and IMO worth the price. Possibly more.73

If it indeed gives 2 s-units gain it's definitely worth the price.
I've a feeling those numbers might open a can of worms from those antenna savant's.
I'm looking forward to hearing what those in the know have to say. If those numbers are true and I was able to have my antenna at the proper 33 feet I myself would purchase a zero five in a heart beat.
2 s-unit gain from any vertical Omni directional is impressive and IMO worth the price. Possibly more.73

Yep I hear ya brother.. I honestly feel it is worth the price, I am really impressed with it. And the customer support it top notch.. Not trying to sell you on it, but I really like it, and right now I have it only 26 feet off the ground from the feed point and I have no problems shooting skip and talking locally everyone says the signal is great.. I am in the process of raising it up another 10 feet to be at that 30-35 feet sweet spot..

73's

Yep I hear ya brother.. I honestly feel it is worth the price, I am really impressed with it. And the customer support it top notch.. Not trying to sell you on it, but I really like it, and right now I have it only 26 feet off the ground from the feed point and I have no problems shooting skip and talking locally everyone says the signal is great.. I am in the process of raising it up another 10 feet to be at that 30-35 feet sweet spot..

73's
33' is the proper height/wavelength for for most vertical Omni directionals. I doubt a few feet below the 33' will matter much but I'm no expert. Believe it or not my iMax 2000 is as many on this form know is at a whopping 7 ft from feed point to ground. I've mentioned it many times in many different posts. I am hopefully soon-to-be installing it on a 24 ft telescopic Rohn mast. I am assuming and hoping that going from 7 ft to 24 will make a difference. What that difference will be I will not know until I get the job done. I have taken detailed notes on my transmitted and received signals from locals so I can compare any difference between the old height and the new. I would like to listen for you and hopefully be able to make contact one day in the near future. Would you mind giving your handle/call numbers, qth and what channel and mode do you normally operate? I go by one eleven SSB / one eleven food stamp AM in NJ (the pine Barron's) If conditions are very good I will usually try between Channels 21 - 28 AM.
If conditions are there but aren't strong I can be found on sideband. Usually between 27.3950 and 27.5150 LSB. From 27.5250 - 27.9950 USB.
I would love to hear how your setup sounds. Do you go by troubleshooter? And if so where do you operate most of the time?. Give me the details I am definitely looking forward to hearing you and possibly making the contact. 734327-1470892314-836c3a101776ae9b7dabdad2db8b3049.jpgNon penetrating roof mount with two five foot masts minus 3 ft for u-bolt mounting. And there you have it. My infamous 7ft off the ground IMAX 2000. It works. It really does!

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
33' is the proper height/wavelength for for most vertical Omni directionals. I doubt a few feet below the 33' will matter much but I'm no expert. Believe it or not my iMax 2000 is as many on this form know is at a whopping 7 ft from feed point to ground. I've mentioned it many times in many different posts. I am hopefully soon-to-be installing it on a 24 ft telescopic Rohn mast. I am assuming and hoping that going from 7 ft to 24 will make a difference. What that difference will be I will not know until I get the job done. I have taken detailed notes on my transmitted and received signals from locals so I can compare any difference between the old height and the new. I would like to listen for you and hopefully be able to make contact one day in the near future. Would you mind giving your handle/call numbers, qth and what channel and mode do you normally operate? I go by one eleven SSB / one eleven food stamp AM in NJ (the pine Barron's) If conditions are very good I will usually try between Channels 21 - 28 AM.
If conditions are there but aren't strong I can be found on sideband. Usually between 27.3950 and 27.5150 LSB. From 27.5250 - 27.9950 USB.
I would love to hear how your setup sounds. Do you go by troubleshooter? And if so where do you operate most of the time?. Give me the details I am definitely looking forward to hearing you and possibly making the contact. 73View attachment 21203Non penetrating roof mount with two five foot masts minus 3 ft for u-bolt mounting. And there you have it. My infamous 7ft off the ground IMAX 2000. It works. It really does!

Im thinking about strapping one of those on a tree trunk behind my house.

Teflon doesn't work at that high voltage point. Maco v5000 5/8.

It must be pretty high then. I used a QEI FM broadcast transmitter that used a piece of thin Teflon sheet wrapped around the 3CX3000A7 final as a plate blocking capacitor with 3200 volts on the plate and running at 2500 watts OUTPUT. It was like a piece of heavy gauge plastic sheeting wrapped around the tube anode and held in place by the socket and metal chimney.

It must be pretty high then. I used a QEI FM broadcast transmitter that used a piece of thin Teflon sheet wrapped around the 3CX3000A7 final as a plate blocking capacitor with 3200 volts on the plate and running at 2500 watts OUTPUT. It was like a piece of heavy gauge plastic sheeting wrapped around the tube anode and held in place by the socket and metal chimney.
Hey I'm with you. I use teflon on my rectifiers and sheets around the my dc. I'm no antenna guy, maybe Jay in the Mojave can answer your question. I blew up a few of his prototypes. I'm just a guy who was blowing up every 5/8 wave vertical antenna available. The way it was explained to me was the the high voltage point is at the feed of a 5/8 wave. That makes it difficult to design. Running only a few hundred watts was putting thousand of volts at that point.

Hey I'm with you. I use teflon on my rectifiers and sheets around the my dc. I'm no antenna guy, maybe Jay in the Mojave can answer your question. I blew up a few of his prototypes. I'm just a guy who was blowing up every 5/8 wave vertical antenna available. The way it was explained to me was the the high voltage point is at the feed of a 5/8 wave. That makes it difficult to design. Running only a few hundred watts was putting thousand of volts at that point.

Oh I was not disputing you at all. Just saying that it must be VERY high and was wondering if it was really Teflon and not something like UHMW plastic instead.

Oh I was not disputing you at all. Just saying that it must be VERY high and was wondering if it was really Teflon and not something like UHMW plastic instead.

I wonder if it's the zinc plated bolt that runs through the base, insulator and vertical element. It eventually corrodes. Maco has been known to leave some sharp edges on their aluminum too.

Any idea what the feedpoint impedance of a 5/8 groundplane would be? On the antenna side of the matching network of course.

Typically a 5/8 groundplane is close to 50 ohms, generally a little higher but not much, but has a lot of capacitive reactance that has to be cancelled out with an inductor. It also depends on the groundplane.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated