• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is it OK to?

Rain will effect the swr setting somewhat...sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse...ice is always for the worse...but to be sure your setting is good,wait till rain has passed and everything is dry

Are you getting a bad SWR or a favorable one? If it is OK; then go with it - then check it again when the weather is dry. If it is bad - don't necessarily blame the weather on the poor SWR - it very well could be something else. What kind of antenna is it? How did you set the whole thing up? Details help. Any questions about the installation that you are not sure of? Need more info. A lot of info is available here and a lot of people who are antenna savvy that can help. Don't be afraid to ask; this is a forum after all...

Are you getting a bad SWR or a favorable one? If it is OK; then go with it - then check it again when the weather is dry. If it is bad - don't necessarily blame the weather on the poor SWR...
say what???????
WX is not a reason for (major) VSWR changes.
are we supposed to have rainy day antennas,... dry day antennas,.... daytime antennas,... night time antennas,..... well, you get the idea.:D

theres something else wrong
coax-seal is your friend (y)

"WX is not a reason for (major) VSWR changes. "

say it aint so !!!!!
but folks say and suggest things in the CB world all the time .
i even saw a post once where a guy was asking why his swr jumped from 1.3 or less to over 2.0 and someone suggest strong skip was driving them up .

im with cap'n kilo on this one . :)

To answer robb's question I asked in another thread that Ive been assigned a new truck at work 2005 379 pete and Im trying to figure this out Ive never had such a hard time with a truck.Truck is noisy through radio when I say noisy I mean sounding like a helicopter through radio.I here the noise in the backround of incoming signals but it is intermittent.Ive tried just about everything new coax,antennaS,stud,blah blah blah.Truck has afactory stero with amp that sits behind p/s seat,roadwatch(shows road and air temp)that is mounted on d/s mirror brkt which by the way goes nuts when i key up,and the regular electrics that peterbilt has.I would prefer to run one antenna on d/s which I have done in all my other installs with good luck but ....When the coax was in the overhead on the d/s the noise seemed to be worse.So after taking someones advice for giggles I tried a francis antenna mounted on p/s along with all my coax on the p/s and seemed to be ALOT better.So with that being said the only thing I could think of was maybe the coil section of the antenna being higher up was making a difference and in turn I purchased a top-loaded antenna (which was why I asked about the rain thing)in hopes of getting my magnum radio to work in this truck and shelfing my wilsonT5000 for another day.Sorry for the long post just wanted to vent I guess I really like my radios.

To answer robb's question I asked in another thread that Ive been assigned a new truck at work 2005 379 pete and Im trying to figure this out Ive never had such a hard time with a truck.Truck is noisy through radio when I say noisy I mean sounding like a helicopter through radio.I here the noise in the backround of incoming signals but it is intermittent.Ive tried just about everything new coax,antennaS,stud,blah blah blah.Truck has afactory stero with amp that sits behind p/s seat,roadwatch(shows road and air temp)that is mounted on d/s mirror brkt which by the way goes nuts when i key up,and the regular electrics that peterbilt has.I would prefer to run one antenna on d/s which I have done in all my other installs with good luck but ....When the coax was in the overhead on the d/s the noise seemed to be worse.So after taking someones advice for giggles I tried a francis antenna mounted on p/s along with all my coax on the p/s and seemed to be ALOT better.So with that being said the only thing I could think of was maybe the coil section of the antenna being higher up was making a difference and in turn I purchased a top-loaded antenna (which was why I asked about the rain thing)in hopes of getting my magnum radio to work in this truck and shelfing my wilsonT5000 for another day.Sorry for the long post just wanted to vent I guess I really like my radios.

AS a guess, I would say that the radio needs to have an inline power filter that will cancel out any noise from the engines injectors and alternator. That is $20 fix, most trucker/CB shops have these gizmos and they work outstanding. They wire in pretty easy too.

AS far as the SWR; what does it look like? What kind of readings are you getting?

I can get god swr's with my wilson(1.3 flat across) and francis (1.3-1.7).Are u talking a noise filter?I unhooked my antenna while hearing the noise and it went away was told if it was entering through radio noise would still exist?Just seems a shame I cant run my wilson trucker Ive had better results with them over any fiberglass stick.

I can get god swr's with my wilson(1.3 flat across) and francis (1.3-1.7).Are u talking a noise filter?I unhooked my antenna while hearing the noise and it went away was told if it was entering through radio noise would still exist?Just seems a shame I cant run my wilson trucker Ive had better results with them over any fiberglass stick.

I would put an inline power filter from the power source/battery and plug it directly into the radio's power plug. It might not eliminate all of the noise, but it should help a great deal. Maybe even run a length of wire from the frame to the mounting bracket for the antenna since so many trucks have all of that fiberglass and little steel in the body construction. Might have to go to the sources of the noise and put suppressor capacitors on the alternator and injectors. Experimenting is the way to go. LMR-240 coax is fully-shielded cable; is the coax you are using top grade?
A CB shop should be able to sort this out - if all else fails.

GO with the antenna that you feel is best; I would...

Thanks jeff that would be the wilson in my experience dont you agree.Interesting you mentioned injector someone said they are on the same frequency and It does matter if I change channels.Unfortunately I spend 99% on 19 but if I go up or down the noise either goes up or down too!

If, as you say, the noise is coming in via the antenna, a power line filter isn't likely to improve things much, if at all. You're going to have to pinpoint the noise source. A shirt-pocket sized AM radio makes a handy little sniffer.

To make a sniffer that will get into tighter spots than the radio, you can take a piece of RG-58 or similar OD coax, as long as necessary to reach from the radio to the engine compartment and maybe 4-5 feet longer. Put a PL-259 on one end and just leave the other end cut off flush, with some insulating tape for good measure. Connect the PL-259 to the radio. Turn the volume up good and loud so you can hear it with the engine running. Probe carefully around the engine compartment; the noise should get louder as you get near a noise source. Get that noise taken care of and look for other sources (there may be several).

Just be careful not to get that piece of coax near rotating fans, shafts, motors or other moving stuff.

All of this presupposes that the hood hinges are properly bypassed and the usual bonding/grounding steps have been taken. This being a company truck, you might have some conflicts with the owners.

"WX is not a reason for (major) VSWR changes. "

say it aint so !!!!!
but folks say and suggest things in the CB world all the time .
i even saw a post once where a guy was asking why his swr jumped from 1.3 or less to over 2.0 and someone suggest strong skip was driving them up .

im with cap'n kilo on this one . :)

Booty,

I find I get better rejection when using the full sized shopping carts that have the door on the back. This summer I want to try a pair of shopping carts and phase them for circular polarization.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated