• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is there really a murs radio made?

freebird

Jul 22, 2008
Is there really a murs base or mobile radio out there any place?I have been looking for one but come up with nothing for a 5 channel radio that does only 2 watts.Only thing a local ham store tells me is convert a 2 meter rig.but I want a murs 5 channel radio is there such a thing?where do i get one???

Is there really a murs base or mobile radio out there any place?I have been looking for one but come up with nothing for a 5 channel radio that does only 2 watts.Only thing a local ham store tells me is convert a 2 meter rig.but I want a murs 5 channel radio is there such a thing?where do i get one???

Tell that "local ham store" to verify that ham gear can be modified for MURS use. They might be surprised... :thumbdown:

ok i see that base radio for murs but whats up with that little anntena?you wont get out with that at all.

can we really hook up a base antenna to that? if so that not a bad idea but how far will you get out with 2 watts? what aboue 25 watts?

They talked to the moon with 1.5 watts.

At VHF, its all about LINE OF SIGHT! More watts help for sure and YES, you CAN hook up an antenna to that radio (for the second time).

MURS RADIO

I have a radio shack business radio that you can program on MURS, but have never talked to anyone, even a bit more power and no one. It is a dead area around here..You can use a two meter radio if it is converted to MARS operations..

DOCTOR/795

My radio is a Motorola 25 watt radio. It low power seting is 10 watts. I have it hooked up to a Diamond X300A that i moded to tune for MURS and I get about 30 miles out of it on high power. Antenna is only 30' off the ground as well. 2 Meter radios are cheaper though in the long run than anything comercial. I also have my Yaesu FT2800M moded for MURS and for the price of $140 New its hard to beat. Very easy to mod as well.

Go to yahoo forums and get on MURS forum and ask for a rs 19-2510 some usually appear, program it it has 5 chnls, and 5 watts...buy an antenna from ARROW ANTENNAS a yagi if you want distance or a j pole, all same price $39 plus s/h, , I put up a j pole and talking to some people at 35 miles, the other day a bit of skip hit 50 miles for a few minutes..

DOCTOR/795

Could someone conceivably use one of those Chinese exports to transmit in the MURS range? It's my understanding (and I could be wrong about this), that they can transmit thru their entire frequency range of 136-174MHz.

As an afterthought, do MURS radios use any kind of PL tone? I have picked up MURS transmissions on my scanner before, but it's a rather bare bones model and has no way of decoding/showing the PL tone.

Last edited:
You can set a pl tone in them, myself I dont. You live in chicago, there is a bunch at one time who get on I believe 94 frequency of MURS after 11 at night and ragchew.

DOCTOR/795

The Dakota Alert base is made as the in house receiver for their long range driveway alert. But it makes a nice little base radio also. I've got one. It's not bad.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.