• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It's Here! The new Kenwood TH-D74 HT!

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
This weekend I picked up the new Kenwood TH-D74 HT from Ham Radio Outlet here in Southern California. From the preliminary information, I new this radio was an updated version of the TH-D72 but with D-Star included, but I definitely didn't realize how sophisticated and complete this little radio is.

4402-1475555879-80fd9fb2ff2273d52ad14358a23dc868.jpg

I can honestly say that I haven't been this impressed or excited about an HT since the introduction of the Yaesu VX-8. This radio is like the love-child of the Kenwood TH-F6, the Kenwood TH-D-72, and the Icom ID-51. The TX range covers 2 meters, 220 Mhz, and 440 Mhz. It has a built-in GPS and TNC supporting APRS and KISS modes, much like the TH-D72. The D-Star support is on par with the Icom radios and works flawlessly. Like the TH-F6, it can receive HF & MW bands, including support for SSB, AM, CW, and FM modes. Lastly, it features USB, SD-Card, and Bluetooth interfaces / connectivity.

This is an expensive radio, but my first impressions are that Kenwood has hit a home-run and this will be on the top of the list of every ham's "must buy" list!

Reactions: N4UED

Hi:
Are you going to do a review, like other radios?
Your reviews are very interesting.

73's from Joe

Yes, I'll do a full review very shortly. I've pretty much got the whole thing figured out, but there are one or two little things that I need to work out first. I don't have the MARS info yet, either.

Monrovia... ouch.

Dated cute little Sue W, Monrovia Day Queen 1975... The one that got away! :love:

...one of the MANY that got away :whistle:

Sorry, off topic. Looks like a must-have HT!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated