• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It's out !! RCI 2970 N4 200/400 watts

400 watts PEP,..................... AFTER tuning, think I'll pass.

BTW, the prices on his "other items" are way too high too. more than other established "brick and mortar" stores

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
No doubt. This guy is listing this as Best Offer also ….. but it's not like I was going to buy one anyway. Just noticed the rig and thought it would be of interest.

Reactions: DainBramage
I guess it's cool to have an 'All-In-One' but I can't see paying that much for a radio
& amp with less heat sink than a good 4x2879 stand alone amp, especially considering you can operate the stand alone behind any radio of your choice, and I think it's a bad idea for stability to have that much heat present that close to the radio board.

I wonder if there have been any construction or circuit improvements in the radio portion over the 2950DX?

...I wonder if there have been any construction or circuit improvements in the radio...

read EXACTLY what it says,.............. nothing has been changed except the output power.(BOLD is mine). heck, the CTCSS is an OPTION...... DUH!

"These new models have retained the operating features of its popular predecessors, including programmable repeater offset and capabilities for a CTCSS tone option ..."

Reactions: 222DBFL
For that kind of money I think a real HF radio will be much better. Screw the 400 watts after tuning. Its going to need fans and it's the same radio!! Nothing new TBO, other than they are now supplied with Mosfets vs. Toshiba transistors to make the watts. Way cheaper for them to use a couple dollars worth of cheap mosfet transistors to make the watt meter dance. A good separate 4 pill amp and a 2950 will smoke the N4 IMO. And be less prone to breakdown due to heat. But again for near the same price, one can have a 200 watt kenwood 480HX that will outperform the RCI as well IMO. Too much money for what it is. JMHO.

read EXACTLY what it says,.............. nothing has been changed except the output power.(BOLD is mine). heck, the CTCSS is an OPTION...... DUH!

"These new models have retained the operating features of its popular predecessors, including programmable repeater offset and capabilities for a CTCSS tone option ..."

you do realize you can retain a function while achieving that function in a completely different way?
transistor radios retained functions that tube radios had, but the circuits were different with different components...

granted, you're probably right, but since the 2950dx is a good radio, no biggie.

but while I'm happy with the 2950dx, I'm with needle bender on this one.
amp with less heat sink than a good 4x2879 stand alone amp, especially considering you can operate the stand alone behind any radio of your choice, and I think it's a bad idea for stability to have that much heat present that close to the radio board.

Reactions: Needle Bender
Oh, stop being a pessimist... it's job security, ExitThirteen. :) You'll be fixing those things until you retire!

Brett

It's much harder to fix poor design. And that's what the N2's and the N4's are. Poor design. Any export radio really that has a PA built in on the underside, actually.

As they say, "you can't fix stupid."

~Cheers~

It's much harder to fix poor design. And that's what the N2's and the N4's are. Poor design. Any export radio really that has a PA built in on the underside, actually.

As they say, "you can't fix stupid."

~Cheers~
I liked the original 2970DX when it just had 2 pills, ran mine for years no prob. The N2 with multiple little mosfets just was a mess, too much heat, and always seemed out of wack.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.